Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile Finishing an oiled Veneer.

G'day all.
    I have recently finished building some kit speakers http://community.webshots.com/user/shrug77 and have oiled them with scandanavian teak oil. The speakers look flat (photo 3) after the oil has soaked in and looses the suede look (photo 1) unless I put some furniture polish on. The veneer I used was Sepele iron on veneer supplied by Consolidated edging. I was told the oil would be enough but I would like to finish it so that its smoother, gains/retains some lustre and the corners are a bit more defined. A satin or semi gloss finish is preferred.
    Im after some advice as to how to finish these, I doubt varnish would stick to the oiled wood and cant find anyone in our small mining town who supplies or can give me advice on applying wax. If some one out there, or in here, could explain to me (like a child:confused: ) what brand/type of wax to use, a recommended supplier and any tips for applying I would appreciate it greatly. Im hoping the heat from buffing on the wax wont lift the veneer.:eek:
    Thanks for your time and hope to learn something new soon.

looks like another job for the polishers hand book.
    check the parent sute of this board you will find a good range of products that can be purchased via mail & the polishers handbook which is a very good primer on timber finishing.
    cheers
    Last edited by RETIRED; 16th July 2004 at 12:01 AM.