Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by barney118 View Post
    I have been renovating for the last 5 years ...........

You should also ask yourself if you want to spend all your free time for a number of years renovating.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi neverquiterigh,

I have done what you are about to do. I turn the this old weatherboard house into the after photo's. I started in early 2004 and my wife is still finding things for me to do. It had an asbestos roof and internal walls. We didn't live in it for the first 18 to 24 months as it would have been nearly impossible to do so. I was an owner builder and although 90% plus of the work was done by builders etc it was nearly impossible to get them when you needed them and to get them one after the other forget it......... During this time we had to pay rent as well. Total cost far including pool and landscaping is roughly 350,000 to 375,000. Not to mention 2 years worth of rent and countless phone calls, time off work, sorting out problems, dealing with home life or just trying to have a life.

Having said all that, I'm glad i did it but would think seriously about doing it again. I think i will let some else look after it. I had several builders tell me i should have just knocked the house down and start again and others said why waste what is already there.

Good luck

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    How did you arrive at your figures?

Mick
    To demolish our existing house and rebuild a new house would cost around $200k (did all the figures) to add a master bedroom, WIR, ens, family room and outdoor decking to our 3 bdr brick house will cost around $100k. Add another 10-20k to do up exsisting house.