Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom/laundry flooring ideas?

We have just finished renovating the rest of the house.
    Bamboo flooring (after lengthy debate, are very happy with), light sandstone coloured walls (painted), dark chocolate brown and glass modern furniture and the rooms that have carpet are in a latte' colour.
    Wanted to stick with the natural colours but don't really want to have the standard tile look.
    Can anyone suggest any flooring ideas for the bathroom, laundry and ensuite?
    I like the look of sandstone but unsure whether this is suitable for wet areas? Or are these looks dated?

Other than that, I didn't mind the pebble mesh look but hubby says it looks 'painful' to walk on

Very interested in people's opinions and suggestions. Really stuck here for decision making!! Can't give you a budget range at this stage, but don't want to have to sell a kidney if you know what I mean.
    We have spent around $50k already, so the wallet is a home to the moths right now.
    Once we have a few options, then we can revisit the budget.....

Thanks

It certainly looks different and may look good now I have never been a fan of the smashed up mosaic tiles and pebbles I think they look great as a feature section on the wall as a border or as a diamond or sqaure pattern on the floor with other tiles around it but not altogether and ones personal taste might be sour grapes to others the sandstone finish looks good though... is the product sealed? if not like outside pavers and I have seen sandstone walls go all mouldy and in an environment like a wet area I could not see this as an option!

if it was me I would tend to stay on the safe side and go for large floor tiles and if you want to go for the wow factor and a nice little feature in the middle of the floor or around the perimeter!!

Just my 2 bob worth Cheers

hi matrat

i am just a little ahead of you in the reno process just waiting to get the blinds and ther floors polished . sometimes i think it would have been cheaper to knock it down and start again .
    i did the toilet and bathroom in a mocca porclain tile and the walls in a matt white rectified edge tile with feature tiles up the wall .

i love the large matt white wall tiles

floor 300x 300 $ 34 m 2

wall 600 x300 $ 24 m 2

feature 80 x80 $34 m2

Also the smaller the tile the more grout the more grout the more you will have to clean them .

there is a great place behind european ceramics in osb park to get tiles very cheap .

p.s don't use the tiler i did ....

i will try and post some pics shortly.

you are wellcome to drop by for a look if you like .

i'm in bayswater.

P.P.s love the comment about mariage and renovating in your other post . if we make it down the aisle after this it wil be a miracle.

Really appreciate the offer Jags!

When you do get a chance, I would love to see the pics!
    I have a feeling we will end up with tiles, it would just be nice to find something out of the ordinary but with some class

Ossie park definitely seems to be the go for a lot of stuff that's for sure. So we will make certain we get out there for a peek.

PS: a work colleague of hubby's approached him this week and said if she gave us the money would we renovate her flat!!
    My answer?: Where are the divorce papers you would like me to sign?

Just kidding....it's as frustrating as hell and very demanding on your relationship, but heck, at the end of it all, you can look back and say that you did that yourselves (even if it is at settlement)

Look forward to seeing the pics and don't cancel the walk down the aisle just yet....

The mosaics mean a lot of grout (to clean), the pebbles end up almost 50% grout. Look trendy (for now) but will probably date (remember Mission Brown?) and will be a pain to clean.

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

Quote Originally Posted by silkwood View Post
    The mosaics mean a lot of grout (to clean), the pebbles end up almost 50% grout. Look trendy (for now) but will probably date (remember Mission Brown?) and will be a pain to clean.

Cheers,

Mark
    Definitely don't want a 'mission brown' scenario that's for sure!!

Hubby's really not keen on the idea anyway, so I guess I lost that one. I think I really need to do more research as to what is out there. Otherwise, I just shut the doors on those rooms for a while....

I'll keep looking.

thanks for your thoughts all.

Keep it simple... We used a 450x450 polished porcellin on floor and walls (Tiled to ceilings too) and broke with marble borders, horizontal in bathroom/WC and vertical in ensuite/WC. The marble borders are the same marble as the benchtops. Very, very simple, ultra classy and will not date.

Agree with the grout comments, especially if you plan on tiling the shower base.

hi Madrat

sorry for the delay on the pics i'm having trouble reducing the size and keeping the quality . will try and take some durring tonight shift (patching the last room and painting ) i'm getting the floor done next week so if you do want to drop by once the there done your more than welcome ....as long as you say how nice it looks ...we're talking about 7 long months that i will never get back.
    Oh i do not now if you like light grey as a colour but the reno i did before this one i used grey porcelin 300 by 300 floor tiles and 300 by 100 gloss white wall tiles that with a frameless glass shower screen really worked well .

rob

Thanks Jags.

No apologies necessary for the delay.

The flooring was to be our next job, until we had a leak in the ceiling last month from the one day of rain we had!!

So our saved $$ for the flooring is now going on roof restoration

A little off the grey at the moment as that is what is in the bathrooms and laundry now.

It is a grey/white marble. But what doesn't help is that the previous owners have mixed 2 x different patterned tiles together (and not evenly, but more like, they had run out of their original choice).

I'm sure your floors will look great! (and I will tell you so ).

Happy patching and painting tonight!
    (I don't miss that!!)