Default House Recladding

Hi Everyone

I have read variuos opinions on different calddinfg materials but wanted to get some more (I know I am sucker for punishment)

I have approx 200sq mtrs I need to reclad on an existing house. the cladding is old and its made from Aluminium (Permaclad). I am looking at various ways to do this and have basically arrived at the following 3. Not in any order

1) Reclad with a Weatherboard/Hardieplank type of product

2) Hebel

3) Blue Board

Has anyone used any of the 3 methods and if so I would be interested in knowing why and also your experience in using it.

Have you pulled off a bit of the permaclad to see what was underneath?

Chances are it's a perfectly good stucco, or battened fibro, or weatherboard/chamferboard that just needs a paint.

In any case, try to assess whether there was anything in the original character of the house worth building on, and starting your options from there.

Cheers,

P

Just timber batterns.......

1. Hardie Plank or similar: needs to be painted - joins are visible - looks bad on long runs if studs aren't straight - easy to put up - traditional look - cheap - several profiles to choose from

2. Hebel: not sure about it - needs a footing? - reduces the depth of your eaves? - needs to be rendered or bagged? - expensive?

3. Blue board: needs to be coated with something/rendered - not sure on price

I'd say weatherboard is your cheapest option and gives the traditional look (if what's underneath now isn't up to scratch). There's a newish Hardies one called Linea which is 16mm thick and gives the classic shiplapped weatherboard look. I used Primeline Newport on my place. It looks OK to me. It's a standard thickness board but it has a PVC strip in the back which sits on the board below, so it's a piece of p!ss to hang. Only needs a nail in the top - no visible nails.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Silent

I do like the look of these Primeline boards. Would be interested to know how long it took to put up (and how big the job was)

thanks

The job was an Attached Dual-occupancy about 500sqm. I think we used about 1800 lineal metres of it. It took two blokes about 2.5 weeks to put it all up. There's a fair bit of fiddling around windows. It's much easier to put up before the eave sheet because otherwise you'll probably need to cut the top board - that may not be an option if you're doing a re-clad.

You also need to decide what to do about stops on external and internal corners. I got my BIL to fold up a corner section from some gal sheet.

Other than that, it's easy to work with. I bought a GMC steel cutting saw and put a cement sheet blade in it to dock the stuff. You can use a small angle grinder with a diamond blade to do cut outs around windows etc. A rasp will also be handy. You can cut it with a chisel and shape it with a plane but the blades will blunt very quickly. You can nail it with a coil nailer but we just used hammer and fibre-cement nails.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Why not look at one of the insulation board cladding systems?

There are a few on the market, similar to this http://www.infolink.com.au/articles/74/0C042D74.aspx

The added insulation will give lots of additional benefit too.

Cheers,

P

Silent

thanks. I assume you used the Gal instead of the normal External Cornering stuff they sell?

I will probably replace the eave sheet as well so its probably not too bad. Just thats its 2 storey......

I don't think they sell anything that is suitable for the Primeline stuff. If they do, it'll be PVC. They sell stuff suitable for Linea which is aluminium. Most people just use a 1x2 batten or something similar. What I came up with gives a square corner, instead of rectangular plus it passes the fire zone building requirements.

You could always reclad with steel made by Picton Bros 183 Talbrager Street Dubbo 02 6884 0899.

See a previous post

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...90&postcount=5

Hi Barry

the only issue I have with this stuff (and Vynil) is that I can't change my mind on colour......

Quote Originally Posted by jaypee
    Hi Barry

the only issue I have with this stuff (and Vynil) is that I can't change my mind on colour......
    The main reason people put steel colorbond cladding up is so they never have to paint again as well as saving the cost of painting. The steel cladding comes with insulated backing as well.

And if you did decide to change the colour you can paint over colorbond. It requires very little preparation and makes an excellent base for overpainting.

There is no more dry rot and the worst thing you could ever do is put vynal cladding on your house because it breaks down over time no matter what they say because all the the vynal cladders that give a lifetime guarantee have all gone out of business. Its just that for everyone that goes broke two come out to replace them and their lifetime guarantee only lasts as long as their lifetime in the business lasts.

In the USA the vynal cladders now offer people a trade in on their old vynal cladding because they know that it has a limited life.

Hmmm good point. Any idea on the costs. Seeing they say in the pamphlet that it is roll formed on site??? I know you had approx 19 in metre but that was ex Dubbo. I assume no one else does it eaither?

I would love more info but can't find it on the web anywhere???

Quote Originally Posted by jaypee
    Hmmm good point. Any idea on the costs. Seeing they say in the pamphlet that it is roll formed on site??? I know you had approx 19 in metre but that was ex Dubbo. I assume no one else does it eaither?

I would love more info but can't find it on the web anywhere???
    Jaypee

You can buy a similar cladding from Bluescope Lysaght.

See here

http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/...saght-easyclad

and here

http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/...aght-multiline

The only problem is that it doesn't have the insulation on it, but as you said if you have to strip off the Aluminium Cladding you should be able to insulate the walls as you go with fibreglass or wool.

Lysaght deliver to site everywhere and can deliver long lengths because they use semi-trailers.

Red face

I have seen some houses using curved/wavy colourbond cladding for their houses.. I think it looks great but I've no idea what it is called..

My house is weatherboard and when we raise we will likely continue the weatherboard (or use a look-alike cladding)