Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Waste pipe through wall

Hi all. Getting as much done as I can before the plumber comes. I've been digging trenches and laying pipe and buying all the bits and pieces in preparation. With the nearest plumber 50km away this is important.

I've been digging around looking for the water supply and waste which I've found. Looks like they were put there for the purpose but the job was never finished. Anyway, my question is: does the waste pipe coming out from the house need to go under the brickwork? Or can it go through the brickwork? Through the bricks and I could make a hole myself in preparation; under the bricks and the pipe connection would need to be re-jigged in which case I'd want to leave it to the plumber. Obviously I'd hope through is possible. The house is a 1960s weatherboard. The floor structure rests on the bricks and concrete piles.

many thanks, Brett

Ring him and ask.

At best leave access around the pipe so he can cut and fit a new fitting if thats all hes is to do?

Its hard to tell whether the existing pipe goes over the footing or under it?

The plumber will make a decision probably over the footing being type S soils dependent on obstructions behind the brick wall and plumbing regs. He needs fall and if he cant get it then he'll need to get under the footing.

He may ask for you to cut one brick out as an inspection directly above the current pipe which could be done with a 5 inch diamond blade and a plugging chisel what looks like on the second course in the photo.

"Son, there is 2 really important things you need to know about plumbing, 40:1 and dont bite your fingernails."
    c2=a2+b2;
    When buildings made with lime are subjected to small movements thay are more likely to develop many fine cracks than the individual large cracks which occur in stiffer cement-bound buildings. Water penetration can dissolve the 'free' lime and transport it. As the water evaporates, this lime is deposited and begins to heal the cracks. This process is called autogenous healing.

The existing pipe is outside the building. It takes waste away from the point in the photo. The bathroom will be on the inside, about 7 metres from this point. The plumber will be doing everything (sink, toilet, shower, washing machine, HWS and so on) except all the labouring stuff that I can manage (digging, cutting holes, waterproofing, tiling, painting etc). There are no obstructions behind the wall between the toilet and the point directly behind the wall in this photo. I spent a day planning the bathroom and plotting a route for the main pipe, as well as crawling on my guts under the house digging a trench. I've mapped it all out and know what pipe parts I need. I've removed the bathroom walls in preparation for the water connections. This is the last bit before I need a plumber.

It sounds like you have it all sussed.

Give him a ring to explain and confirm what you have done whether there is anything else he can do.

He want that one brick removed as some plumbers wont fit under that floor

You are going to be there when he arrives to get under the floor if need be?

Be careful some of those older houses are sprayed with residual poisons.

My last house I renovated had thousands of dead snails under the boards then it occurred to me that I was swimming in a sand concoction of possibly Dieldren with 3 feet of head room.
    c2=a2+b2;
    When buildings made with lime are subjected to small movements thay are more likely to develop many fine cracks than the individual large cracks which occur in stiffer cement-bound buildings. Water penetration can dissolve the 'free' lime and transport it. As the water evaporates, this lime is deposited and begins to heal the cracks. This process is called autogenous healing.

oh dear...I wondered what those thousands of snail shells were doing under there...

By all means, you can go through the wall but there must be an inspection opening at the point that the pipe exits from under the house, your plumber will know that.
    It will also depend on how much room you have under there and if he will get enough fall to the furthest point.
    It does make it hard when the fella is so far away
    Where does he come from if your at Gunning, if you dont mind me asking?
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

He'll be coming from near Yass. I'm trying to get all sorted before he makes a trip out. I'm not worried about the cost of him coming out multiple times as I know he won't charge (he's a good bloke), just want to save him the drama. But I want to make the job as easy and quick as possible. And it's complicated lining up times etc - he's got a very big patch. Thanks for the heads up on the inspection pipe. I'll add that to the list to discuss before he comes. I've got the fall. One of the local blokes ran me through the technical requirements. In a place like this there's a need, and not just for cost, to do a lot yourself.

As usual, thanks heaps. I'll get this old place sorted eventually (mostly through the excellent advice I beg from here!). Cheers, Brett

I spend a bit of time in the Highlands and do a little work here and there at Taralga, its a pain if you forget something because its 50k's each way to Reece
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter