Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Render on Blueboard and brick

Hi,

I have some builders that have done some work and removed a couple of windows and doors at my place. they have covered the holes with blueboard.
    the rest of the house is a roughcast stucco finish applied with a terylene gun in the 60s.
    i have had different opinions on the joins from the blueboard to the existing render.
    i wondered if anyone has any knowledge of how to deal with the joins so they dont crack and arent too visible.
    one guy said we would need a 10mm sikaflex line around all the blueboard, while others have said they can tape the joins and then render over the blueboard, then use a terylene gun to cover the board and blend with the old surface on the bricks.

so now i am worried that i will end up with 10mm lines around all the square windows and doors that have been covered?obviously that wouldnt look good. the other option is that the holes should all have been bricked in instead of blueboard?

Can it be done without these expansion joints, by using tape over the joins and then blending the new render surface over the joins onto the old surface?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by goforitifudare View Post
    Hi,

I have some builders that have done some work and removed a couple of windows and doors at my place. they have covered the holes with blueboard.
    The proper way is to brick up the holes, but what is done the proper way nowadays anyway?

It all comes down to money.

two different substrates, ouch!

Expander mesh over the joins, hydrocrete, tacky, render with a smaller amount of hydrocrete in it.

Get out you little jewelery box player, terylene with some hydrocrete and pray