Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Kids and safety

Default Kids and safety

I learnt a valuable lesson on Sunday morning. Kids, you just can't take your eyes off them. Our litlle bloke whos is almost 15 months found a couple of packets of 30mm wood screws. I found one packet unopened and the other was empty(both packets contained two screws) The other was opened and I found one on the floor and the other missing. I grabbed toddler bluegum and stuck a finger in his mouth and felt nothing at all. I then tipped him upside down and gave him a couple of short hits on the back. He coughed a couple of times and out he spat the missing screw. It came out head first so I think I may have cought it as it was starting to work its way into his throat. I am really glad I listened during the first aid course the company put me through. Lesson for me, make sure I leave nothing lying around and keep an eye on the little bloke when I am working.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Having just spent 3 hours re-organising our lounge to keep miss 12 month away from the gas heater and various electical spagetti involved with 4 fish tanks and 3 computers. I know what you mean.

Still looking for one of the NiMh remote batteries that she stole while we were busy child proofing the room

Scary Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad your little ones are ok.

cheers
    Wendy

My goodness!!
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Good save Dave, would've been a pain to lose that screw.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

It just goes to show you that first aid should be part of everyone's education. If you haven't completed a first aid course then you should...if you are lucky enough to have your company pay then that is great but a two day first aid course is only $150 to 200...small change when considering it could save your life (or the life of your little bluegum).

When I am working in my Big Shed Geebung junior is allowed to work alongside with his tools (he has a bosch workbench with a vice, handsaw, hammer, spanner, screwdriver, cordless drill and saw). But, if I am using any electron munchers he is not allowed anywhere near me. Oh, and he is past the screw eating phase thankfully.

Yep it was a hard lesson for us all and I plan to keep my first aid up to scratch as its become a valuable asset to own. it just goes to prove that anything can happen. On a sad fact of it I had a relative claim that my wife should have been more carefull in picking up around the house apparently. biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard as kids will find anything if they want to.
    Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegum View Post
    On a sad fact of it I had a relative claim that my wife should have been more carefull in picking up around the house apparently. biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard as kids will find anything if they want to.
    Relatives are funny that way. I get all sorts of stories from my relatives (mainly my mother!) along the lines of "my children never did that...", "they were always well behaved...", "My children slept through the night from the day they were born...", "they always ate everything in front of them...", "my children were toilet trained by the age of 18 months..." etc., you know the sort of thing - it drives you spare!

The next time you visit the relo that made the helpful suggestion go around their house quietly with a notepad and pen and then come back and give a dissertation on how unsafe their house is...and be picky...and suggest that they should be more dutiful in cleaning up!

[quote=Geebung;691758]Relatives are funny that way. I get all sorts of stories from my relatives (mainly my mother!)

Geebung your right in fact it was my mother who made this claim. She is a clean freak and likes to give an opinion whether its wanted or not.
    Dave,