Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Thanks all,
    Well I bought that multiplexer from ebay. Now to record (it doesn't have internal memory) I was thinking of getting a dvd recorder. That should work, shouldn't it?
    You would probably need one with a hard disk though.

yeah, 250GB or so
    Mick

avantguardian

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

You can reduce the amount of hard drive required by reducing the camera speed.
    They run between 5 and 30 fps, 10-15 will provide good resolution.
    You can also set up the system to standby mode so it will only record when it senses activity in the field.
    This function will also record 3 seconds prior to the event.
    It is a simple system, it records continually and after 3 seconds will dump what has been recorded, as soon as there is activity the dump ceases.
    This can be set to each camera or as a blanket cover so they all record.
    By using these features you can minimise your total hard drive size.
    Use a dedicated system, works better than trying to utilise your home PC, and have a DVD burner on board as this is acceptable as evidence if you wish to prosecute.
    Make sure the system is date stamped for evidence.
    40gig will provide about one month of recording 8 hours a day for four cameras at 10 fps.
    Harvey NOrman had a dedicated hard drive with four cameras recently for $999, all cams were infra red (which are colour but B&W at night).
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I've been over-ruled by gingerchick again. Looks like I have to return second camera and just put up a gate.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    I've been over-ruled by gingerchick again. Looks like I have to return second camera and just put up a gate.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    mmm... okay then install razor wire along the top or better yet make the gate from say 2in steel and epoxy broken glass along the top... out in the drive Id install a sensor pad like they got at the shops that opens the doors? that sorta thing but linked to rows of spaced say an inch an a half apart say 6in long THIN razor sharp spikes that lift up with force when the mats stepped on and retract instantly back under the mat

And Id get a bloody VISCIOUS mongrel cat... yep you heard me a bloody cat! get one of them Siamese things or the Burmese ones would be bedda... you got a carport? well get one! let the moggie live there they LOVE beams so make sure theres a couple of good sized ones... train the mongrel to dive bomb with claws outstretched anything that moves between sunset and sunrise (other than you an the missus of course) moggies are right cruel buggars... otherwise an ex security Doberman would do the trick... mmm will think of an automatic method of the dog "escaping" and returning so no one has a clue and now clues are left... well other than the shredded perp but thats okay we can live with that

And thats for starters!!

Me? Id move
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo View Post
    mmm... okay then install razor wire along the top or better yet make the gate from say 2in steel and epoxy broken glass along the top... out in the drive Id install a sensor pad like they got at the shops that opens the doors? that sorta thing but linked to rows of spaced say an inch an a half apart say 6in long THIN razor sharp spikes that lift up with force when the mats stepped on and retract instantly back under the mat

And Id get a bloody VISCIOUS mongrel cat... yep you heard me a bloody cat! get one of them Siamese things or the Burmese ones would be bedda... you got a carport? well get one! let the moggie live there they LOVE beams so make sure theres a couple of good sized ones... train the mongrel to dive bomb with claws outstretched anything that moves between sunset and sunrise (other than you an the missus of course) moggies are right cruel buggars... otherwise an ex security Doberman would do the trick... mmm will think of an automatic method of the dog "escaping" and returning so no one has a clue and now clues are left... well other than the shredded perp but thats okay we can live with that

And thats for starters!!

Me? Id move
    Geez Shane,
    I'm glad I haven't strayed into your yard!
    Cheers
    Graeme

Well, I got a quad processor and another camera and it's all working sweet.
    Grahame Collins (a local member) offered to fabricate and weld a gate for me, unfortunately the steel was out of reach. But I would just like to say to everyone here how grateful I am for the offer. What a lovely thing to do, Thank you Grahame.
    Mick

avantguardian

Might be time to move. He did it again. I'm gonna break his neck.
    Mick

avantguardian

OK Mick the obvious question, were the cameras running and if so did you get a picture of him?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

ok this may help at a nominal cost for a while , but the last place I worked at we hired a security dog ...as long as the property is secure ( dog cant run off)......it would be a more viable option in the long run .....dog may get intruder .....intruder may think twice once dog is known to be around....dog will alert you of said intruder and ....well....maybe you could council intruder of their irritating ways etc ( this is a public forum, you know what I mean )...if intruder has vehicle, then a simple rego number is all you need ( most intruders have a getaway car nearby and are so stupid it probably belongs to them)....

if using security camera's I would buy an external hard drive and use it to store the vids and here is why

vids take an enormous amount of space, and if you dont want it and delete it .....this also leaves a large space on your drive ...most common file systems are ntfs and fat32 ..ntfs is more efficient than fat 32 but takes more space too .....fat 32 uses any nook and cranny to store info ..and this is where problems occur .....sometimes when deleting programs or info another part of a program or info may be shared with what you are deleting ...this is how some files become corrupt or lost ...it would be wiser to store important programs and info on an external disc and run them from there , also make a backup copy .....less ram used by "mother" pc and more efficient running .......deleting from the external and defraging wont cause any major damage and your pc will last longer .....externals are much cheaper to replace than main HD.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    OK Mick the obvious question, were the cameras running and if so did you get a picture of him?

HH.
    Unfortunately not. The light was unplugged But the coppers that came around were very confident they could charge him. The moron was parading himself around in front of them. They thought he was a tool and seemed very keen to make his life difficult.
    Either way, he's not getting away with it.
    Mick

avantguardian