Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Cool Remember that one!

In reflection ... I see only one point that has not been mentioned... that in giving your advice, expertise & excellent knowledge, which I would suspect was not just graciously passed on, but more than likely thoroughly & correctly researched......

typed out, meticulously & then forwarded to a supposedly keen & eager "newbie"...who found it was so spot on, that as the rude recipient didn't need to consult anything or anyone again...

...I would just remember their name...not be bothered to respond ever again.....to the ignoramus.....peeves me off too!...but for the few that us off there are the up & coming stars that really do appreciate our woodworking camaraderie....unfortunately I would not like to loose the few good ones....JUST REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE OTHER ONE!

Cheer.... sometimes it's hard to be nice always.....
    Kekemo
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

There are a couple of things I would like to add. Just my observations and these are NOT critiscism's. I work in a school and I constantly talk to the teachers about these sorts of things, my post is a little long winded but I think it's relevant.

1) Sometimes it takes a while for a response to some threads, I have posted a question and it has taken a few days for an answer. In todays world more than 5 minutes to wait is too long!

2) As far as getting a form of recognition/gratitude, for your answer to a question, we live in a growing society of takers, not givers.

Over the years of working in a school and observing the gradual changes in behavioral patterns that the children and "parents" display it is of no surprise to me that moral standards have slipped to a much degraded level. I have children coming up to me and calling me by my first name and demanding that I get their ball off the roof or clean up a mess that they have just made, I have even had parents of these children complain that I did not get their child's ball for them. I have to explain to them that their precious child needs to learn approach people in a respectful way, and start the conversation with a "Mr White could you please", and end it with a "thank you", I get told I am an employee and I should do as I'm told, after all they pay a lot of money to send their child to a private school! With parents like that, Is it any wonder that when you help SOME people that you get no gratitude for your help. Not all parents are like that although it seems to be growing everyday.
    The pace of life today is getting out of control, 50-100 hour working weeks are becoming far to common. Any wonder there is no time for parent child time together, I see kids that are dropped at before school care at 6.45 some are still there in after school care at 6pm, monday to Friday they go home and almost straight to bed. Mum and dad have been working so hard all week Friday night they look forward to dinner and a few drinks at the club, babysitter looks after the kids, sleep in sat morning then shopping, Sunday off to church, Monday the whole thing starts again! where is the family time? I think its about time people became a little less material and made do with a little less and spent more time with family, maybe this would solve some of society's problems
    What sort of society are we going to end up with, when the latest generation become parents, they have not been taught any parenting skills.
    Rob....

It doesn't p#ss me off too much if it seeds an otherwise useful/enjoyable thread. I think it is rude but it's probably their loss. There are lots of forums out there in www land that are far nastier places to hangout. I do however feel guilty lurking on threads about things like the Mackay floods and not dropping down a supportive note. I guess I figure everybody feels sorry for those poor guys and they must know because although there are only 14 replies, 215 people have viewed it.

BTW prozac did you notice that started happening before or after you chose your username (Oh and yes, you are not alone)

Quote Originally Posted by Robo1 View Post
    There are a couple of things I would like to add. Just my observations and these are NOT critiscism's. I work in a school and I constantly talk to the teachers about these sorts of things, my post is a little long winded but I think it's relevant.

1) Sometimes it takes a while for a response to some threads, I have posted a question and it has taken a few days for an answer. In todays world more than 5 minutes to wait is too long!

2) As far as getting a form of recognition/gratitude, for your answer to a question, we live in a growing society of takers, not givers.

Over the years of working in a school and observing the gradual changes in behavioral patterns that the children and "parents" display it is of no surprise to me that moral standards have slipped to a much degraded level. I have children coming up to me and calling me by my first name and demanding that I get their ball off the roof or clean up a mess that they have just made, I have even had parents of these children complain that I did not get their child's ball for them. I have to explain to them that their precious child needs to learn approach people in a respectful way, and start the conversation with a "Mr White could you please", and end it with a "thank you", I get told I am an employee and I should do as I'm told, after all they pay a lot of money to send their child to a private school! With parents like that, Is it any wonder that when you help SOME people that you get no gratitude for your help. Not all parents are like that although it seems to be growing everyday.
    The pace of life today is getting out of control, 50-100 hour working weeks are becoming far to common. Any wonder there is no time for parent child time together, I see kids that are dropped at before school care at 6.45 some are still there in after school care at 6pm, monday to Friday they go home and almost straight to bed. Mum and dad have been working so hard all week Friday night they look forward to dinner and a few drinks at the club, babysitter looks after the kids, sleep in sat morning then shopping, Sunday off to church, Monday the whole thing starts again! where is the family time? I think its about time people became a little less material and made do with a little less and spent more time with family, maybe this would solve some of society's problems
    What sort of society are we going to end up with, when the latest generation become parents, they have not been taught any parenting skills.
    Rob....
    Very well said but I must add... The more things change the more they stay the same. It took me years to figure that saying out and what it means. Basically it's all been done or experienced before just not in our recent history. She'll be right, people will adapt and overcome and at sme oint kindness will be back in vogue .

I don't mind if people don't find my response helpful, but it is nice to know that there is someone out there who has heard it!!

But it's like the reputation system, it really does not seem to work, although I try to send greenies, and one wishes that it did!

Time to shrug and have a cup of tea before it makes me grumpy...
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Toolin Around View Post
    Very well said but I must add... The more things change the more they stay the same. It took me years to figure that saying out and what it means. Basically it's all been done or experienced before just not in our recent history. She'll be right, people will adapt and overcome and at sme oint kindness will be back in vogue .

Toolin, the Romans complained that the times had changed and so had the manners, to the worse - O tempora O mores.

I suspect that it is a constant human experience that we seem to feel that manners are getting worse as we get older. Maybe we each become more sensitive to, and appreciate more the good sense of, manners as we get older....
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

It bothered me for a while too.

The internet is a weird way to talk to one another though.

Its a convienient way to just not bother answering for some. Where in real life I'd imagine they'd be completely different.

And I'd guess not all of them are deliberately ignoring. Some probably just haven't had the chance to get back on the internet or have been sidetracked by something else far more important. Or something about the forum put them off, so they just thought 'stuff this place' .

And also, I think its hard for some new members to actually get involved, because they sense that all the regulars just want to talk to each other only. Plenty of regulars don't respond to new members questions as well. They just go off talking amongst themselves.

My parents and grandparents never had the experience of the internet. They would be astounded at the way that people from all over the world can now receive advice , knowledge and friendships that have been created by this modern way of life.

Some members that have come in and then gone out of this place must have never realised what could have given them a pleasant way of living over the last decade.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I hope i havent left anyone hanging, i do try to respond to any answers people have given me. But its such a big forum, and so many posts, i lose track of what i've posted and what posts i have been following. And I spend so much time on here! I love this forum, has filled a huge gap in my life.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper View Post
    It bothered me for a while too.

The internet is a weird way to talk to one another though.
    There is no one here, we are all imaginary, go back to sleep....ZZZZzzzzzz

Hey Rob (WB), dont worry about it, the world is full of inconsiderate ppl, the internet just compresses them onto your screen.

Default Another 2 5things

I'm with most of you here,

What gets up my Nose is that so often we do the Search for some Newbies;

also there is hardly any "Hello";
    "Glad to be on here"
    or "By your Leave"

YES!
    I also getting to be a grimpy old SO-and-So
    Navvi

Very well said but I must add... The more things change the more they stay the same. It took me years to figure that saying out and what it means. Basically it's all been done or experienced before just not in our recent history. She'll be right, people will adapt and overcome and at sme oint kindness will be back in vogue . __________________
    I agree, times do seem to go in cycles, history repeats. I was just using my thoughts to say that there dose not seem to be the same expectations regarding manners or respect for younger people, as what we, as older people have been taught and have come to expect, of course there are exceptions. I also think that a lot of people have little time or give any thought as to the feelings and fears of others, and of the consequences of their actions toward others, how it impacts and affects them. I don't think in many cases it is intentional, It is just an occurrence of our current state of society.
    Rob....

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    There is no one here, we are all imaginary, go back to sleep....ZZZZzzzzzz
    That's the whole thing, which Al has pointed out, you all, with the exception those of whom i know in the flesh, are all imaginary so consequently are just voices in my head.

Does the problem therein lie? If we personally knew everyone, would we react differently, as the question/annoyance that Ro b raised?
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Bloody Hell
    I think I have just been sucked in!...
    Rob....