Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well I wasn't disappointed. See how everybody does it differently? Note that I don't think I read one single comment that was wrong. Every one of those guys sound like they'd deal with the situation right or not get in it.

Just out of curiosity, I didn't really hear anybody say they built the wall laying down on the floor and stand it up. Don't you guys do this or did I miss something.

I gotta get the English to English translation plugin fixed on my laptop
    Do nothing, stay ahead

I forgot it isn't standard practice here to only screw plasterboard is it? You guys just clamp it with screws to let the adhesive set and then pull and fill the screw holes?
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Nah, screws around the edges, stud adhesive through the middle, screws left in & filled with basecoat.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I'll build the wall on the floor and stand it up whenever possible. I usually cut all the nogs bar the two end ones and fit them while the wall is lying down as it makes the wall more rigid and easier to stand single handed (which is how most of my work has always been done). Unless you're fitting sheeting vertically so that needs so it needs to fall on the studs it doesn't really matter if the nog spacing creeps a bit due to variations in stud thickness etc. Once the wall is stood I fit the last two nogs, using them to straighten the end studs if neccessary.

I don't stagger the noggings, rather I snap a line and nail through one side of the stud into the end grain of the nog (well both ends on the first nog) the next nog gets nailed through the same way on one end and then nails are slightly skewed through the stud at the other end. I rest the side of nail gun tip on top of the preceeding nog and angle slightly down.

I think by "crimp" the stud Sportsfan might be refferring to the practice which is also called "crippling". Ie, cut partway through the face of the stud on the hollow side, pull it out towards the hollow, drive in a wedge to hold it straight and then reinforce on either side with some offcuts of stud.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

What Mick said.

Any particular reason you don't stagger your nog's, Mick? Just asking 'cos I do the same but I've no real reason for it except "'cos that's how I do it." With a nailgun it's just as easy as staggering, makes it easier to find a nog once the wall's lined (as they're all the same height) and IMHO looks better, so why not?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc