Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wall mounted wine rack

As part of the walk in pantry I'm building, I want to include a wall mounted wine rack. The space I have set aside for it is about 900 wide, by 600 high.

If I use the full space, I'll get 67 bottles in there (I'm not sure if it will ever actually get full, or if it does, how long it will stay that way...), which, by some quick calculations, will end up weighing in at about 90kg!

My concern is how to make sure I make the structure of it capable of holding that weight, and how to best attach it to the wall. The plan is a basic box made from 16mm melamine board, with stacked lengths of 90mm PVC pipe (which seemed like a good idea until I worked out how much it would weigh).

So my question is, finally, how do i calculate the structural capacity of such a thing? Or do I just build the box, screw it to the wall and climb in it myself as a test (I weigh in at 85kg, so if it will suppot me, it should be fine I suppose)?
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Can the wine cabinet be attached to a wall or cabinet either side of it?

I was planning on giving it a solid back, and fixing that to the wall in a number of places. The other side of the wall hasn't been plasted yet, so I can add whatever extra mounting points that may be required.

The left hand side will be screwed into a corner wall cabinet, the right hand side will be screwed into a full height cabinet end piece.

I could also, at a pinch add three brackets underneath the wine rack. There are going to be some glass hangers there, so it wouldn't look too bad. But I'd prefer not to if I can get away with it.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

If you can support the cabinets adequately on 3 sides then you should be OK. Make sure you fix the rear of the wall cabinet into the studs with plenty of long screws (60-70mm, assuming you have plaster walls) and make the cabinet out of particle board as MDF is very heavy.

Also, bear in mind that wine bottles are only 300mm deep and you may want to put a false back in the wine cabinet.

Thanks renomart, from what you say I should be fine then. I'm using 295mm melamine chipboard for the rack.

Here's a quick sketch of what I've got planned.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

I don't think that will work as their is way too much load on the bottom of the cabinet.

You need to divide up the cabinet like a pigeon hole to distribute the load evenly between the top and lower panels and back.

Get rid of 2 rows of wine...there is just too much there!!!

I suppose I could divide it into 4 compartments, 2 across and 2 down, with 14 bottles in each compartment. That would give extra strength in the middle of the bottom shelf, and less weight on it
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Maybe 3 across would be better.

hmm, back to the drawing board, I think...
    Cheers,
    Anthony