Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bailey 41/2 Iron

fellow listers, I have been 'fettling' a Bailey that I bought at Henry Black's tool sale last year. Patent date Apr 4 1910, and from that I assume that it was made circa 1928-1930. The iron however appears laminated. It has the Stanley 'sweetheart' logo, but after honing (single bevel) with a 6000 grit waterstone, there is the unmistakeable line if a lamination. I've never before seen this on a Stanley blade. Is this unusual?
    Cliff

I have heard of laminating a bit of high carbon steel into a softer blade. Usually in knives. The Japanese sword is an example. I have never come on one in a plane however. I think you have had a good find. Check out some knife making forums for the process. I saw a doco on an old french guy who made edge tools that way. He was the last of his trade. One of the tools was a gouge for harvesting asparagus and because of the harder lamination the tool was self sharpening.

Scribbly Gum is offline When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear

Laminated Stanley blades weren't all that rare in the older model planes made in the USA. We don't seem to see them so much out here in Oz.
    To quote Clint Jones over on Sawmill Creek:
    The SW blades are the last of the laminated stanley irons. They have a softer layer up front and a harder back for a longer lasting edge. This makes the plane easier to sharpen. The SW planes are also the last of the frog design with a larger machined surface for the blade to rest on.
    Fun Fact- The SW logo was adopted in 1920 to commemorate the retirement of William heart , long time president of the Stanley Works (1884-1916).

So yours is indicative of the period when SW planes were made.

It is probably no better or worse than other Stanley blades and should be able to take a good edge.
    Happy planing
    SG
    .... some old things are lovely
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them ........................D.H. Lawrence
    https://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com/

thanks for the replies guys. The plane really 'sings' and is much better than my old no 4, with a clifton iron. It was quite hard to hone, somewhat similar to a samurai blade I have.
    Cliff