Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: respirators

Default respirators

I raised this issue eleswhere,but this is probably the best spot. I'm looking to get a respirator for woodturning. Can anyone give me a reasonable opinion of the Triton versus Trend versus Racal D4. Or, is something else better? I don't really need earmuffs but something easy to put on and off, otherwise I am worried I will tend to leave it on the shelf unless I am doing a big job.
    Any thoughts, please.

i have mostof them .triton about the best ,removed ear plugs and sewed up the gap. still like you got your head in a bucket!!!. racal one you lower over your head and turns on and off . triton about $200 from bunnings . racall about $1200. and parts hard to get .can always get paper masks . cheers bob

V. good idea to get one and use it always Keen.

Have you tried a search of the Woodturning forum here?

Lots of posts over the years.

Given your preferences the Trend would sound the most suitable. But it's a good deal dearer than the Triton. Not sure the Racal is still available in Oz.

I use a Trend and find it effective and comfortable.

But to step back: the criteria for choice in my view would be:

- bang for buck
    - how small a particle will be trapped
    - field maintainability
    - availability of spare filters and batteries
    - cost of spares
    - comfort

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Ern

Default respirator

thanks for your thoughts. I am trying to ignore cost in this decision in favour of health. Other advice I have received about the Triton is that its comfort is a problem and putting it on and off is a bit of a chore if you are going between different tasks. The Trend is more like putting a hat on and off(I think). there is no point saving money if you don't use the thing.
    i don't know how long the filters last under hobby use but the Trend ones aren't cheap.