Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional Wax

Guess I have to find somthing else to create the aromic atmosphere.
    I'm not kidding here, Being a woman restorer in my part of the world atmosphere is a big sales thing, creates an old world mystique which appeals to Brighton ladies.
    Astrid, do you use/have Ubeaut Traditional Wax, beautiful smell!, Just apply liberally to whatever before you expect a customer.

A woman in a predominently male profession has to fight with every trick in the book.
    Yeah, well..........

Default hare brained

Astrid,
    Sorry I was off the thread. Have slapped my wrist and stood me in the corner.

Mum always said I should stop haring around.

Jerry

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

BS
    yes I have,
    Yes it does
    And you bet I do!

Trouble with the scented waxes is that, although they smell good, the clients recognise the scent, as in lavender or whatever.
    they dont know what the smell in my shed comes from but its unfamiliar to them and therefore emphisises the idea of a traditianal craft.
    Is their anything safe to use that smells like gum turps?
    Maybe I'll get some aromatic wood shavings.
    Or just spill some on the floor now and then.
    I know this sounds silly but seriously, its the first thing they mention when they come in, followed by gushings of "what a fasinating and wonderful job i have etc.
    Scent is a very powerful emotional stimulant.

Astrid

Astrid

A woman in a predominently male profession has to fight with every trick in the book.
    What a load of absolute frogsheeit - All she has to do is be as good or better and in most instances that really isn't too hard.

My wife is a first rate polisher and I'd put her work up against most male finishers any day. Some of the best finishing I have seen has been done by women. There is no need whatsoever for tricks. Just high quality work and a bit of pride. The tricks can always be seen through and are no substitute for good workmanship, (I use the word workman in a non gender specific way)

You will most likely find it isn't the turps smell that gets them anyway, it is far more likely to be the French polish smell. Pure turps is a common smell and is hated by many people especially some smokers as it can be quite obnoxious.

If you really must use beeswax and want to smelly it up you can do it with pine or sandalwood oil. But there are many more better waxes than beeswax, that are much easier to work with, aren't stick and won't attract fingermarks, dust, dirt. etc.

Hey there's one mentioned in the first post in this thread. Matter of fact that's what the thread was about, Traditional Wax.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Astrid, a quick search found this comment at the Art Materials Information and Education Network

"Mike,

Thanks for posting.

Let everyone be aware that "English Distilled Turpentine" is no safer than any other gum Turpentine. In general, all the turpentines present serious health risks on the order of higher organic solvents, principally in its risk for skin damage and allergic reactions to the vapors. Avoid it. Use a conservator's services unless you can protect your health.
    "

In relation to the 'mad artists', there may be more concerns to them in the old days because of lead and the glues they used. Hatters and milliners (makers of female hats) also suffered as they used mercury, hence the term "mad as a hatter".

Little more info in the Wikipedia
    Wow thats for that little safety tip Groggy. Always good to find that type of information.