Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Mdf

Exclamation Mdf

I am not sure if I am in the right place here.

But can someone help with ways to finish MDF.

I do a bit of scroll saw work and looking at various ways to finish.

Can it be laquered, best way to paint. ETC.

Any hints and tips would be greatly apreciated.
    Last edited by Sputnik1970; 25th January 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Removed quotes

You can use lacquer or paint to get the look you want. The problem with MDF (from a finishing point of view) is that the cut edges soak up paint like a sponge. I usually make some waterproof PVA glue 5 parts glue to 1 part water and paint that on to all the cut edges. Let it dry thoroughly and sand down to about 240 grit sand paper (maybe not easy with scroll work). For paint finish I usually apply a couple of coats of primer to the edges and then undercoat/topcoat of your choice. You can get special MDF primer but I don't find it any better than regular wood primer/undercoat which is usually a lot cheaper. You can brush, roller or spray most paints onto your MDF. I have heard that the spray cans of gray automotive primer are good for sealing MDF edges but I've not tried it myself. Not used clear finishes either but I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice on how to do it.

George_N is on the money. If you seal and sand the edges it is easier to finish than regular wood.
    I never make mistakes, I thought I did once but I was mistaken

Top 10 reasons I procrastinate

I use a Nitro celluose MDF primer (primer for Nitrocellouse lacquers) all over MDF. You can thin it down and brush it on end grain - it dries very hard and is sandable. If you want to finish with an acrylic lacquer check to make sure the primer is compatible.

This would not be suitable for a clear finish however.

One of the best finishes is Danish Oil. Use something like one of those disposable foil containers to hold the oil and simply soak your piece in it. Blow oil residue out of small cuttings with a compressor. Quick and effective. Vinnie