Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Tiling Down Under

Lo All!

Can anyone help? I am a UK tiler who is looking to move to Perth with my family. Can anyone advise if tiling is in demand in Perth? Is it mainly through companies or people working for themselves? If the pay is any good? etc? We are a family of 5, with three small mouths to feed! Great to hear from anyone who can help!

Can't say for certain what the situation is like over west but in Queensland all building trades are in demand, including tilers. Mostly engaged as subcontractors when working for others or contractors to the general public, requiring a contractors license in Qld. I'd assume demand over west is similar or even greater from what I've heard. I'm not sure of licensing requirements in the west.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by midnightdora View Post
    Lo All!

Can anyone help? I am a UK tiler who is looking to move to Perth with my family. Can anyone advise if tiling is in demand in Perth? Is it mainly through companies or people working for themselves? If the pay is any good? etc? We are a family of 5, with three small mouths to feed! Great to hear from anyone who can help!

ohh yes, when are you planning the move? ive got a whole bathroom in need of tiling

from what ive heard there is a 3 month wait on tilers in perth recently, that was before xmas so things may have calmed down by now, but i doubt it.

The market in Perth is slowing down, but it is strong.
    A mate if mine is about to build a house. The builder originally told him it would be 12mths. That has been revised down to 9 mths(note...building hasn't started yet....so its anybodies guess)

Most of the tradesmen that I know get the majority of work through builders. The private residential stuff is just to fill in the gaps.

I've been after a bricklayer for ages, but no luck. No one is willing to take on the small jobs.

Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by midnightdora View Post
    Lo All!

I think trades in general are in fairly high demand nation wide. The bonus of being a tiler is that you can subcontract direct to builders (roof tilers are usually contracted through the tile manufacturers and get paid quite poorly in my opinion) and you can take on private work as you please. The going rate is anywhere between $30 - $40/m² largely depending on what sort of work it is.

When you get here, get some business cards done up and hook yourself up with a good tile shop who can supply you with materials and in return have your business card on display on their counter.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers,
    Lotte

Thank you, you guys!

I have been trying to look into things, but tiling is not a trade that ever seems to carry much info! We all know, or at least are lead to believe, that electricians and plumbers are in demand, so most searches in trades just bring up them for moving. Can anyone say if it is the same that tilers need an Oz qualification? Qualified over here, but I know that with the like of Electricians and Plumbers they need to undertake further studies and can not work as self employed for two years!

In answer to your question, maybe moving next year? A good mate of mine already moved to Perth and wants me out there on a working holiday Julyish time, to tile their house they are having built in exchange for accomodation! LOL LOL If only I could get a temp work visa and take bookings!

MickJ - Here in the UK, you can not get a builder out for small jobs either! Since some of our builders are moving down under the trend down there will most likely continue! LOL Here we also often have the same things with electricians and plumbers but that is a postcode thing depending on where you live. Coastal areas seem to be worse where no-one replies or even turns up!