Question Tile Adhesive for Floor of Shower Recess.

G'day All,

I am re-tiling the base of an older style shower recess. It is a square concrete base with vertical sides that extend up the wall approx 100mm on a slight angle and have a small 1/4 radius on to a horizontal lip approx 25mm wide. The horizontal then drops 5mm over the entire recess floor area [approx 750 x 750mm] and this is where the tiles will lay. [The water outlet is centered on one side.]

I have coated the base with Crommelin Shower Waterproofing Membrane and are using 47 x 47mm [2 inch] Mosaic tiles on 300 x 300 mm sheets.

I went to a dedicated tile outlet [not a chain store] in the nearest large regional city approx 1 hour drive away from me last weekend and got tiles, adhesive [carson adhesive premix] and grout [ardex FG-8]. I talked to the guy and told him I was tiling a shower recess base.

Now that i am ready to takle the job I read the directions on the container of the adhesive and in capitals it reads ".... Do not use over waterproofing membranes or on non porous surfaces." (sic).

So my questions are these.

1.) Will this adhesive be suitable to use in my application.
    2.) What would happen if its not suitable and I still used it?
    Ok then,
    3.) Can you please tell me what type of adhesive [including a brand name] I need to use to do the job correctly.

I,m not sure if its the only one I can source locally, but i know I can get HB Fullers 'Easy Tile Adhesive' here in my town, would this be suitable?
    Otherwise I am off on a 2 hour round trip back to the dedicated tile shop to get the correct adhesive.

I haven't spoken to the retailer who sold me the Carsons premix yet as it was after hours today before I read the label on the container I intend to do that tomorrow if need be.

thanks for reading my post, Oh BTW if the grout isn't suitable please advise on that too.

Cheers Xman

I'm not familiar with that particular tile glue - but if it says not to use on waterproof membranes then I would be reluctant to try it. See what the tile shop says tomorrow. Davco Ultraflex is the glue I use nearly everywhere - it has to be mixed up though.

I'm also unfamiliar wth that particular grout.

Thanks DD Yeah I am a bit reluctant too .. I am hoping the guy grabbed the wrong one off the self on Saturday .. it was about 11.50 am for a Noon Closing [ah the country life ] I checked out the Davco web site ... very good .. I think the econofix or the ultrafix would be suitable for my job.

The adhesive I was given looks to be similar to the davco grey one pot which also has the same disclaimer re waterproof membrane.

Do you know if the Davco product comes in small eg 1 kg or 1 litre containers? Its only a small job and I dont need much. [couldnt find any ref to sizes on the website].

FYI my grout seems to be suitable ... the ardex website has it listed as a new product. they also have an adhesive that may be suitable Ardex X 56. but I guess I will have to make a 2 hour round trip to get these products before I can finish the job which is a pain.

X

I know ultraflex only comes in bags - about $30 each. I'm sure Davco would make a suitable premix - but I dont know what it is LOL. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you can't find a Davco one at your hardware place, Dunlop may have something as well that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
    If you can't find a Davco one at your hardware place, Dunlop may have something as well that might work.
    A lot of the different brands are actually made by Davco. I'm pretty sure Metroflex (the brand sold at Metro Tiles outlets) and so forth are made by Davco specifically for shops. Not sure about Bunnings gear, but it'll no doubt be expensive.... I've always used normal waterbased Davcoflex (and brands made by Davco) over waterproofing membranes and I've never had a problem.

Lotte

Hi all ... Thanks for all your help .. I went with dunlop tile-all. its a 2 part pack ... came in a 2 kg size that was a little more than enough to do the job. I put it down today [aust day] before going to the local aust day races and having a few beers !!! ... I won some and lost some . Will be grouting tomorrow.

The dunlop tile all is suitable for total immersion, and non pouros membranes. and for use in swimming pools etc. It was easy to use and suited the job and was the first product I came across that came in a small enough quantity. ie the davco stuff on the shelf at the h/w store was all 20 kg bags ... too much for me.

cheers X PS on the tub it basically says that it comes from the ardex company ... cant remember excatly now ... tub is in shed .. i am in home office