Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Renewing gold engraving on a burr walnut panel

Hi there
    Hope you can help me out with some advice. I've just stripped a very boring looking panel from the front of a piano and found that the engraving on it was originally picked out in gold. Some of the gold is a bit patchy and faded now, so I was wondering how to get it looking spiffy again. Have no idea what to use or what order to do everything in - I'm worried that polishing over the top of the gold will just pull everything out!

Also, the panel has had sconces on it and there are screw holes that I'll need to fill. Would Timbermate be the best option for this?

Thanks very much
    Ali
    Last edited by AlisonH; 9th January 2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Adding photograph

If you check back a few posts theres heaps of advise on filling holes.
    just dont use timbermate.
    re the goldwork some pics would be good so we all know what we're talking about

Astrid

Some of the better hobbie shops and I think spotlight sell a very expensive gold paint with gold particles in it , either that or gold leaf but you will need to cut and apply yourself , very fiddley but a far better look, but as Astrid said pictures are needed
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

That's a lovely bit of wood.

Re the screw holes, Neil (I think it was) has spoken well of Intergrain woodfiller on this forum.

You may have to experiment with mixing 2 - 3 colours to get the tone you want. And experiment with depth of tone too as the filler may dry lighter.
    Cheers, Ern

Default Repairing the Gold

As for the gold repair, the hobby and arts and craft shoppes sell a product called "rub and buff" they come in assorted metalic colours.They may have a different brand over there.

These are composition tiny metal particles in a wax base, that you rub into the embossed pattern, and then you buff off the excess wax.

Once that is done, it maybe lightly french polished or coated over with a nitro lacquer or a clear acrylic lacquer aerosol to seal in and protect the entire finish.

Good Luck