Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The bali bombers and the council

Did anyone else see the seven news tonight where some counciler from marikville has convinced the council to protest to the indoneasian gov to drop the death sentance against the Bali bombers
    Why does a sydney local council have to put there two bobs worth in . why don't they get on with the job they were elected to do without interfeering in international polititics

Anger anger I knew a few people from newcastle some very good freinds that were in the second bombing and for some councilers that had no connection with anyone involved to push their feel good , anti death penalty opinions gives me the shites, love to talk face to face with the bloke they interviewed tonight
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

we orta petition that the council be sacked for interfering in foreign policy
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    love to talk face to face with the bloke they interviewed tonight
    Only talk? That is showing an amazing bit of self restraint.

A few things come to mind:

1)
    Did the same Council take the same action over the execution of Aussie drug running scumbags? Will they do the same for the Bali Nine for instance?

If so, they are being consistent, and in the absence of any direction from their constituents seem to be doing what they were elected to do - ie use whatever power they have to influence an outcome for those who elected them.

2)
    If they feel that the death penalty is inappropriate, they should be lobbying the federal government to take a stand internationally, and NOT dealing at that level.

3)
    So what if someone knows someone that was killed or not? That's not the issue. Does the fact that you know someone who was injured make it a worse crime?

4)
    Local Authorities are a waste of oxygen, and should be abolished.

Cheers,

P

What a wanker he should stick his nose back up his @rse where it belongs.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

We should get Ubeat to be involved too. Wait you should get your local Triton club to stop whaling in Japan too.

and what about the North Sydney Bowling club??

Stupid council.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo View Post
    and what about the North Sydney Bowling club??
    Damn they are not interested in bombing Japan. Still worth a try.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

If the local council was lobbied by its constituents then there is no issue, they are just another elected govt body to do our bidding.

I am opposed to the death penalty simply because life in prison without the possibility of parole is far greater punishment IMO.

Imagine every day knowing this is it for the next 30, 40, 50 years. No trees, no walks in the park, no time with loved ones etc

The indons just need to tighten up the family visits etc to make it a misery.

cheers

dazzler

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    If the local council was lobbied by its constituents then there is no issue, they are just another elected govt body to do our bidding.

I am opposed to the death penalty simply because life in prison without the possibility of parole is far greater punishment IMO.

Imagine every day knowing this is it for the next 30, 40, 50 years. No trees, no walks in the park, no time with loved ones etc

The indons just need to tighten up the family visits etc to make it a misery.

cheers

dazzler
    I have to agree with Dazzler, but I'd add tht while in prison, they should be given only pork to eat.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Default Waste of money

These are the same inner city councils that post signs stating

"This is a no war zone" a total meaninless waste of time and money

You will notice that local councils seem to be peopled and polluted by those with the following traits:

1. Property developers, interested of course only to ensure that the local community is protected from unseemly homes.

2. Unmarried types who don't drink, with nothing else to do with their lives other than annoy others and who derive great pleasure through the printing of THEIR names in the local rag.

3. Those perhaps who mean well, but having lived a sheltered life on the dole so they don't have to face up to reality, have no idea of what happens in business or outside the public service.

4. Failed state or national political applicants who having tasted the power of school captaincy, can't go without their fix of control.

5. Some who actually mean well and are prepared to put some time of their own into working to benefit their community.

All councils should be run by professional managers with a Lord Mayor on call to open the occassional building.

Greg

In a democracy every person or group, has the right to express their opinion, no matter how wrong they are.

Heh, Heh

I'm not going near this one, I promised to be good.
    Groggy only retired yesterday

Astrid

I'll restrain myself until tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    Heh, Heh

I'm not going near this one, I promised to be good.
    Groggy only retired yesterday

Astrid

I'll restrain myself until tomorrow
    You weren't planning to take a contrary position were you?
    1st in Woodwork (1961)

Well, let me give you the shites Ashore. Im anti death penalty, because;

1. It will create martyrs and more incentive to get the allotment of virgins in heaven.
    2. It lets them off, give em 50 years of Indonesian jails, really punish them.
    3. Death penalty makes the executors murderers as well, you dont fix a crime by re committing the same crime.
    4. Most importantly, where does the anger stop? at their children / spouses / parents / governments / religion / ethnicity. Eventually the only way out of the anger is to forgive and move on. Otherwise the cycle perpetuates. Look at the Middle East, generations perpetuating the same conflict. duuuurghhh. And before it all starts, I can speak on the issue from personal experience.

As for this councillor, well he got on the TV, wont hurt his political career. Proves Andy Warhol was right. But Im with Midge in that we have one to many levels of govt in this country. Councils need to go, waste of hard earned tax dollars. Regional management teams, recruited from business and remunerated according to the market, not the pittance that thay scrounge from the states. Performance managed, but wouldnt that be good for all of the beaurocracies.

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post
    Well, let me give you the shites Ashore.
    No mate It doesn't give my the shytes your view is you own and your entitled to it what gave me the shytes was " some councilers that had no connection with anyone involved " and the fact that they used public monies to do so.
    2. It lets them off, give em 50 years of Indonesian jails, really punish them.
    If they were to actually serve the sentence , the president gives reductions os sentence and pardons on his birthday , election time etc so there is no gurantee they will stay in goal
    3. Death penalty makes the executors murderers as well, you dont fix a crime by re committing the same crime.
    Stops them re offending and is a better incentive in my view than prison
    4. Most importantly, where does the anger stop? at their children / spouses / parents / governments / religion / ethnicity. Eventually the only way out of the anger is to forgive and move on. Otherwise the cycle perpetuates. Look at the Middle East, generations perpetuating the same conflict. duuuurghhh. And before it all starts, I can speak on the issue from personal experience.
    Fair enough but the forgiveness needs to be from all parties not just Australia
    As for this councillor, well he got on the TV, wont hurt his political career. Proves Andy Warhol was right. But Im with Midge in that we have one to many levels of govt in this country. Councils need to go, waste of hard earned tax dollars. Regional management teams, recruited from business and remunerated according to the market, not the pittance that thay scrounge from the states. Performance managed, but wouldnt that be good for all of the beaurocracies.
    Totally agree with their removal but as to replace them in a perfegt world you might get a good regional Management team but in the real world this group would be picked appiointed by ......politions ?

Sebastiaan
    Sebastion my point is that local council elected officials should do what they are elected and paid to do not to interfer with matters that are not in their brief, get on with job and stop wasting council funds on issues that are their own personal ideals without any thought to the familys and friends of the victims whose lives have been torn apart by these acts of murder.
    As to the Death Penalty in the case of the Bali bombers, they killed not only Australian citizens, but other nationalities includind Indonesians. They were tried by Indonesian law in an Indonesian court and sentanced by Indonesian judges, If you or anyone else want's to protest this because you believe that your views regarding the death penalty are the correct ones then do so with your own hard earned not that of Rate payers.
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.