Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Sheddy,

A couple of top resoration jobs there mate. Well done. I bet that drawer front took a while to do. Reckon I would be too scared to touch a 30K piece of funiture. Full marks Sheddy.

Cheers
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Hi Sheddy,

A couple of top restoration jobs there mate. Well done. I bet that drawer front took a while to do. Reckon I would be too scared to touch a 30K piece of furniture. Full marks Sheddy.

Cheers
    Pops
    Thanks Pops, always nice to get positive feedback. It was my first effort repairing a real antique. All I used was my razor sharp HSS Jap chisels (what a revelation - I recommend a set to anyone who can afford them) a new (to me anyway) woodwork adhesive, "Vise" polyurethane glue (magic stuff) and some 120 - 240 grit AlO2 paper and shellac polished with EEE and Ubeaut wax. Buffed with a drill mounted duck buffing mop. took about 3 days mainly to allow the polyurethane glue to cure. Charged her 20 bucks and she paid gladly. I think I was cheap.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

I think I was cheap
    We know

Good job Sheddie and a learning experience to boot!
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Yep mate. It has been confirmed. Twenty bucks says you are cheap Sheddie.

Also says you are a very generous bloke and you can't beat that mate. Onya.!!

Was wondering about those HSS Japanese chisels of yours, what you thought of them after some use. You must be very pleased with your choice. Good to hear they are NICE.

Will keep an eye out for that Vice glue, worth a try by the sound of it. Thanks for the tip. Good thread too, lots of great info from everybody.

Cheers
    Pops

Default Colour Padding

Shetland,

Zinnzer is an International company, do a search, its a part of the RPM company.

I'm going to try to post the color padding article, so anyone who is interested in this unique colouring technique can read it, this article appeared in the Austrialin Woodworker a couple of years ago.

Let's, see if it will work on this forum.

Yep, it did work, it will print out, but you will have to enlarge it.

Enjoy

Mac'S

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Yep mate. It has been confirmed. Twenty bucks says you are cheap Sheddie.

Also says you are a very generous bloke and you can't beat that mate. Onya.!!

Was wondering about those HSS Japanese chisels of yours, what you thought of them after some use. You must be very pleased with your choice. Good to hear they are NICE.

Will keep an eye out for that Vice glue, worth a try by the sound of it. Thanks for the tip. Good thread too, lots of great info from everybody.

Cheers
    Pops
    Love my HSS chisels. Worth every yen.. I happened to be in Bunnings the day the Vise rep was stocking the shelves ...asked a few woodie type questions, she seemed to know the product well so I bought a small bottle to try. Forgot I had it and this was the first time I used it. Weird stuff. Only one surface needs to be porous and it sort of foams up to fill any gaps so it can be planed, sanded and painted. Leave it for about 4 hours (24 for max hardness) then do as you please. Claimed to glue anything. I glued a small rare earth magnet to my carpenters pencil and glued a piece of metal to the brim of my non-foilie coz I'm sick of losing my damn pencil. One sticks to t'other and I might patent the idea.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!