Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sliding door coming off - what to do?

we have this sliding door next to kitchen which opens on side of the house.

actualy there are two sliding doors, internal one has glass in it, and works great, no problem there.

but outer one has flyscreen and security sort of grill. this door is coming off again and again.

i did my own professional inspection of this door

there are 2 rolling wheels on top and 2 rolling wheels on bottom. top one ar ein very good condition, but bottom wheels are not in real good shape (though door cannot be more than 8 years old )

rolling wheel assembly is attatched with door frame with rivetts, there are no screws, so i can open them and replace them.

every now and then door comes off, and we have it place it back on door-glides to make it work again.

when door is back on its glides, its slieds fine, but gives slight noise and with bit jerky movement (due to bottom rolling wheels)

when door is back on its place its not straight, i mean it is slightly up from one end (i reckon its also due to most faulty bottom rolling wheel )

any advise how to replace these rolling wheels attatched with door frame with rivetts

door is in perfect condition other than this problem.

Hi Mirz

These doors should have adjusting screws on the inside face of the door and these should be tightened sufficiently to keep the door on the tracks.

It is most important that the tracks are dead parallel otherwise the door will jump off. There isn't a lot of leeway in the adjustment.

If you need to replace the rollers then Bunnings have a good selection of replacements.

Tools

The screen security door has rollers top and bottom.
    The bottom rollers are adjusted to make the door ride level and or keep the door vertically paralell to the lock frame. When these have been adjusted properly - adjust the top roller upward to put pressure downward. i.e. wedge door between tracks.
    This is what keeps the doors tracking and not jumping off the track.
    The rollers should have an adjustment screw - either obvious or look for a hole in the aluminium frame.
    The door manufacturer should sell you spare parts or you may buy generic ones from Bunnings.
    A good idea is to write the name and model number inside the top track for future reference,

thanks guys for your time.

as i mentioned earlier, top rollers are fine with their fittings, but bottom roller are in bad condtion specialy one of them is real bad.

adjustment screws for boot rollers are almost blunt, and they are deep inside those holes.

i could not find any product details anywhere on this door.

will take couple of photographs and post them here to get more help from you guys.

cheers

here are some pics to describe what i am trying to explaing:

Mirz

They are standard security door rollers. If they aren't available at Bunnings try someone off this list.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=se...ient=firefox-a

Take one out as a sample to show them what you want.

Default Bottom rollers are buggered.

One can see that the bottom rollers are damaged. They need to be replaced. But while the door is off you need to clean and inspect the top track as well. Heaps of fluff and gunk gets embedded into the top track, a bit of turps on a rag will do the trick.
    George

hi mirz
    I had a similar problem with my door and found if you took the door out, you would find it had a twist(maybe someone walked into it) straighten it out and put back in. If this doesn,t fix the problem lubricate top guides/or ad some weight to the door

maca

thanks guys for all your help.

what i found there is no need to remove that part connected to door frame with rivetts.

rolling wheels comes off, just by pulling them out with little force. very easy to replace, and dont forget to take your old rolling wheels to match and buy from Bunnings or any other shop.

one rolling wheel cost me $8.70 from Bunnings, replaced both at bottom end. working great now.

Quote Originally Posted by mirz View Post
    we have this sliding door next to kitchen which opens on side of the house.

actualy there are two sliding doors, internal one has glass in it, and works great, no problem there.

but outer one has flyscreen and security sort of grill. this door is coming off again and again.

i did my own professional inspection of this door

there are 2 rolling wheels on top and 2 rolling wheels on bottom. top one ar ein very good condition, but bottom wheels are not in real good shape (though door cannot be more than 8 years old )

rolling wheel assembly is attatched with door frame with rivetts, there are no screws, so i can open them and replace them.

every now and then door comes off, and we have it place it back on door-glides to make it work again.

when door is back on its glides, its slieds fine, but gives slight noise and with bit jerky movement (due to bottom rolling wheels)

when door is back on its place its not straight, i mean it is slightly up from one end (i reckon its also due to most faulty bottom rolling wheel )

any advise how to replace these rolling wheels attatched with door frame with rivetts

door is in perfect condition other than this problem.
    Hi everyone, I also have a problem with a timber sliding door wheels they have worn out and need replacements. I had a look and I found out that the wheels are recessed in the door frame and I cannot see screws to so I can undo them to take the wheels out.anyone know what to do please.

thanks

Basha.

Cool

Hi,

I also have a timber sliding door with worn out wheels that need replacing but wheels are recessed in the door frame. how do i get them out I can not see any screws ?? .

thanks

Hi Basha

Welcome to the forum. A picture would help to give you an answer. Usually timber sliding doors have brass wheels that are recessed into a slot that are just a friction fit and you may have to try and get a screwdriver down the end to lever them out going from end to end and lifting them a little at a time. Replacing them may be difficult because they may not be made anymore. You would have to do a search around at places that supply older style door furniture.

Only guessing here that I dare say they run on a brass track with just a guide groove at the top of the door slotted onto another track or the top of the door is just running in a timber slot the thickness of the door.