Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Label Removal

Default Label Removal

I have purchased some 3mm Amerind panel plywood for the first time. Previously I was using another source, which appears to have been discontinued.

The material itself is perfect, but it comes with a label stuck onto the best looking side, in fact the side that the material was chosen for.

Removing the label was easy, about 30 seconds with my hot air gun. My question is; how do I remove the sticky residue without causing a deleterious effect to the beautiful surface?

I did try some eucalyptus oil in a small corner on another sheet, but it left a small stain, but as a plus, it did remove the residue.

Any help, gratefully received.

Mick.

have you tried turps or meths?

i think either should work and shouldnt leave a stain.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Use white spirits, removes sticky residue with no staining and evaporates away completely
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

... or Shellite - it dries off quickly.

Thank you for the prompt replies.

I tried on another, not important piece, Shellite, Turps, Meths, and Acetone, all of which I have in the garage. I don't have white spirits.

The Turps and Meths leave a small residual stain, the Shellite was very good, but the Acetone is the best, just beating the Shellite.

On the darker coloured sheet I wish to remove residue from, the Acetone is better, at least to my eyes. I have removed virtually all evidence of the sticker, the only thing left is a slightly lighter part, where no light fell where the label was.

Many thanks, I did not immediately think of any of these solvents, even though I have had them for many years on the shelf.

Mick.

Default Watch out with the Acetone!

Acetone will remove the finish if you rub to much, that's why its getting lighter in color, its a strong solvent.

Do you have Mineral Spirits, or Spirit Turpentine, they are sister solvents to White Spirits, they would also do work without removing the coating.

Happy Holidays To All...

MacS

I have used shellite before successfully on timber/ply - on other surfaces I have had some success using good quality masking tape or sticky tape and repeatedly sticking and pulling the tape off has worked - not a quick method but persistence works.