Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Taps in Bathroom

I have a question regarding the proper installation of a bathroom tap.

I am in the process of renovating my en suite in the house we recently bought and have been reading up about waterproofing. I went into my other bathroom to have a look at how the taps have been installed as it looks like the previous owner renovated the bathroom just before we moved in.

I am suspect about how he has done this. I have attached some images to this post. As you can see we have a shower head above the bath. The hot/cold taps (for the shower and the bath) have 1-2mm gaps between the tap "cap" and the wall. Water trickling down the wall can get in behind the tap cap and potentially into the holes for the taps. I assume that over an extended period of time this could potentially lead to water damage within the wall.

Should this be sealed somehow? I was thinking of applying some silicone in the hole, but then I would not be able to access the washer (if required)without removing the silicone, as the nut is recessed in the wall.

Any comments and/or suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I assume that over an extended period of time this could potentially lead to water damage within the wall.
    Yes, and I've seen a few bathrooms that have rotten framework specifically because of this simple oversight.
    Silicone is the way to go but make sure that it is a neutral cure silicone. Acetic based silicones can break down a waterproof membrane (that is if they've actually bothered applying one to the walls before tiling). The fitting should have protruded a bit more than what you've got there, but I'd just silicone over the lot and dig it out if you have to replace a washer.

edit: Unscrew all the tap shrouds, and the shower head and bath spout, and do them all. If it was done properly, it all should have been done by the waterproofer behind the tap body (so they can be unscrewed), before the tiles went on.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnhead View Post
    Acetic based silicones can break down a waterproof membrane (that is if they've actually bothered applying one to the walls before tiling).
    I was wondering the same thing myself. I have a feeling that they didn't as it was a last minute reno job that I assume the owner did before selling up. I think I will apply a waterproofing coat over the tiles just in case.

Thanks for the reply.