Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Election Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pusser View Post
    You shouldnt blame the pollies- remember half the people who elect them are below average intelligence.
    Its the other half with above average intelligence thats the worry they vote for the same ones

There's only 6.5% difference between the two parties on the votes counted so far, so nearly half of each voted for the other side too. Not much in it really.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    There's only 6.5% difference between the two parties on the votes counted so far, so nearly half of each voted for the other side too. Not much in it really.
    Just goes to show that our electoral system isn't anywhere near a proportional representation system, therefore by definition not really democratic.

I don't know what the final figures will be, but Labor will probably finish up with around 51% of the first preference vote, but will have far more than 51% of the seats in the Lower House.

I fail to see how that represents democracy, sooner we get 1 vote 1 value the better.

And yes, I am aware that it can, and has, happened the other way around.

I reckon what they should do is get rid of the House of Representatives and just assume that any bill introduced by the government will be voted through. Then the Senate can consist of the handful of independents and minor party representatives, who can vote on any legislation, since the votes of the majority are already well known. Would save a lot of money. They could all meet at Natasha's house.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Just goes to show that our electoral system isn't anywhere near a proportional representation system, therefore by definition not really democratic.
    I think the population in Terry Prachetts novel 'Fourecks' were right. On the continent of 'Foureks' (an analogy to Australia)) the politicians are jailed the moment they are elected to, as one characture puts it "saves the trouble of having to do it later on".