Thread: Levelling

Default Levelling

Hi,

I recently purchased a house and would love to install some 19mm Sydney blue gum floor boards.

The existing floor has a few level problems (sits on bearers, joists with particle / chip boards) that i can feel under foot. the sub-floor has easy access and upon inspection looks pretty good.

I spoke to 4 different installers for quotes and recieved 4 different answers on how to fix. Can anyone advise / help pls .....because im confused. the answers i got were;

1. Sand the existing flooring (slightly) to get close to level then lay straight on ($)
    2. Install new layer of plywood over existing flooring and level new ply ($$$)
    3. Do nothing - timber boards will bridge and flex ($)
    4. Install wedges / packers in the sub-floor joist to level up ($$)

I intent on using raw timbers then sanding / finishing.

I could do with some advice.

Thx

Rick

Assuming it won't take your ceiling heights under 2400, a rough (machine) sand then fixing new floorboards may be the easiest route.

All floors are up and down to some extent, and if you're noticing it then it's probably pretty bad. Packing doesn't always work as sometimes the bearers and joists have taken a "set" that makes it hard to vary existing levels. Other times, the edge of a board will be jammed in place by render and you can't jack the framing up much.

Did the contractors' quotes include raising or replacing the skirtings? Got any phone points or power on them?

Regards, Adam.

Hi Adam,

All contractors included removing skirtings and re-installing. That didnt seem to be a problem.

If im sanding the existing boards to try to level up, ive been warned not to take too much off ie dont go more than half the chip board thickness. They also reckon by laying the new timber floorboards across the joist, they wil provide additional support and compensate any reduced thickness in the chip board.

Rick