Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Tung Oil problems

I am using Tung Oil on a cedar rocking chair. After applying the 4th coat of oil, I found a thumb sized area that isn't taking the finish very well. Instead of begining to gloss over, it has a textured apearence.
    I was thinking of sanding this are down a little with 300 grit sand paper, and continuing to apply the finish over it, but before I did, I would love some advice on it, since I don't have a lot of experience with tung oil.

Hi Rubingr;

Are you using pure tung oil, polymerised or a commercial secret mixture (e.g danish)?

For pure tung on softwoods it tends to take forever to build or at least cure properly. I can attest to this fact that when I didn't like how dark it made rimu (Dacrydium cupressinum), I planed it off and was amazed at how far it had penetrated. Made planing a breeze since it acted as a perfect lubricant. Ended up with a pile of oil soaked shavings on the floor, which makes for excellent kindling. My remedy was to shellac seal with some blond shellac (it was still thin enough it had a purple tinge in the jar). Then reapplied the oil, it set up much faster.

My other 'secret' is to finish outdoors in strong sunlight. A thin coat of pure tung will be completely dry in 30 minutes, and will be squeaky clean mirror glossy. I guess this is just the same as buying the more expensive polymerised stuff. The gloss slowly goes to gloss-satin over the next few weeks, in which case I'm assuming it's completely cured throughout. Using this, I can get a finished piece with just 3 coats of oil, steel-wool-ing in between.

My advice? lightly sand the affected area, put a thin coat of oil on and put a office lamp next to it to warm it till it's dry. You'll know it's dry when steel wooling or sanding produces white dust.
    I wouldn't recommend putting the whole chair outside in the sun - I don't want to be liable for negligent advice!

zitan

Zitan,

Thanks,

The chair is eventually going to wind up outside anyway, so I don't think that will be a problem. I am using pure tung oil, and am about to go try just sanding it down a little before applying the next coat.

The problem you may be having is that the problem area may be more absorbent than others and holds more of the volitiles therfore takes longer to dry/cure.

giving it time may be worhiwhile.

if the previous application hasn't gone off & you add more you will in all likelyhood be starting the waiting time all over again.

I'd let it rest a few days & try again.

cheers

Try sanding the oil into the spot with wet/dry 320 grit paper. Feather the area into the adjacent areas.