Default Napisan-Bleech-Sodium Precarbonate

From what I understand these are all the same thing that can be used to clean a merbau deck before sealing it. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this stuff will kill grass? Or Oxyialic acid (spelling) how 'bout that stuff too?
    My deck is 200mm off the ground with grass on 3 sides.

Cheers

I can't tell you what is in Napisan, but sodium percarbonate is a very common bleeching agent that is in common laundry bleeches and wooden deck cleaners. The main difference is the concentration - economy grade laundry bleech is 25% by weight, and deck cleaner is 80%. Concentrated laundry bleech can be 80%. Deck stain removers often contain other things like non-ionic surfactants which I think reduce the surface tension of the solution which has two effects, it increases its wettability (like what bars bugs does for your windscreen when it works), and allows it to penetrate into smaller gaps. They also contain things like sodium tripolyphosphate and trisodium phosphate - these are also serious cleaning agents with pH buffering effects but funny names.

About the grass - I've got a few questions - do you actually have grass?, and if you do, are you scared you are going to kill it, or are you wondering if this stuff will kill it for you as well as clean your deck?

The Napisan website says they don't recommend pouring it on your plants, not because it will kill them, but because it will probably affect the pH of the soil, so I wouldn't be too worried...The phosphates might actually be good for the soil, but as they can cause algal blooms, their use has been restricted. Interestingly they can also be used for laxatives and enemas if you have constipation!
    Judge not lest you're judging yourself

Question Sodium Percarbonate Vs Sodium Precarbonate

Sodium Percarbonate Vs Sodium Precarbonate
    Don't know if this helps or not

"Sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in Napisan"
    from
    https://www.grumpys.com.au/read.php3?id=70977
    A Beer Brewing Forum;

also seen something the same on a "Green Thumbs" Permaculture Forum
    Navvi

Default water water water

Hi Tubby

Both are bad for your lawn, but good for your deck. You just need to wet the lawn before, during and after cleaning and there should be no problems.

John Murrell

ALL EXTERIOR CLEANING
    Moggill, Brisbane.
    m: 0400 849 030

So you just mix the napisan in water and scrub with a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmurrell View Post
    Hi Tubby

Both are bad for your lawn, but good for your deck. You just need to wet the lawn before, during and after cleaning and there should be no problems.
    Thanks John.
    I've just laid my new lawn 3 weeks ago and want to prep and stain the deck. I think its probably best to give it another few weeks to give the lawn more time to take but I will do just what you suggested, wet the lawn first .

Cheers

Just a follow up for those that care.

Napisan or Oxialic Acid does not kill grass. Or at least it didn't kill my grass and I got a fair amount on it. I did water the grass after to try a dilute it but the grass has had no ill-effects.