Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question External Corner :: Skirting

Hello All,
    Just found this site before I was due to start putting in new skirtings in my bedroom and it's already saved me a lot of hassle.
    I was about to go and mitre all my skirtings to 45 degrees, and fill in the gaps, but scribing looks a lot easier since i'm using a chamfered edge. Or maybe bull-nose, since it's dual-sided stuff and i'm not sure which will look better yet. Will probably just go with the bull-nose.

Anyways, on to my question.

I have an external corner, approx 135 degrees, and was wondering the best way to join the skirtings together at that angle?
    I'm trying to imagine how to "reverse" the scribing process to join the 2 pieces together, but it's late and my brain isn't working properly.

P.S. I'm not much of a "tool-head" (that sounds wrong, but you get my drift) so any technical jargon would be appreciated in layman's terms, please

Scribing wont work for an external corner because you'll see the end grain of one length. You would normally mitre that. It means working out what angle to cut on. If you know how to bisect an angle with a compass, you can use a sliding bevel gauge to measure the angle of the corner where the two walls meet and transfer it to a scrap bit of board or bit of paper, then bisect it and measure that angle off with the bevel gauge then use that to set your mitre saw, or to mark the board if you're cutting by hand.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Thanks for the quick response, silentC. Although this raises another point which I'm worried about.
    What with using chamfered or bull-nose skirtings, wouldn't mitring (sp) leave a gap at the top of the skirting when joined?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vorinia View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, silentC. Although this raises another point which I'm worried about.
    What with using chamfered or bull-nose skirtings, wouldn't mitring (sp) leave a gap at the top of the skirting when joined?
    Nevermind, like I said previously, I'm tired. Obviously, if mitred properly, it will fit like a mirror-image of the other.

I'm off to bed, will update on my success (or failure) lol

Thanks again!

Beat me to it. Sleep well! It's time for lunch over here.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

An easy and accurate way is to lay two pieces of masking tape as indicated in red on the diagram, then either draw a line or cut with a sharp knife as indicated by the blue line - that is the exact angle.

Denn

dennford got it solved QED
    les