Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bamboo flooring

Default Bamboo flooring

I have bought some bamboo flooring which I would like to install in our newly built house. It has a concrete slab. any idea on the best way to install the flooring? I have been told that I could have a floating floor on top of a 3mm insulation where the individual pieces just lock into each other and there is no need for nails. How would one make it permanant? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

g'day,

I'm doing a timber floor at the moment as well, but i'm going for battens screw fixed to slab and 19mm thick T&G Hardwood flooring secret nailed (staple or small nails on to the battens) to get that real timber floor effect and feel under foot.

I find floating floors give a thud hollow sound (as they do). It comes down to personal preference and budget i spose.

But bamboo is very hard which is good, but i'm too familiar with the installation bit. should be similar to batten construction.

Cheers
    DFA

Default putting down bamboo floors

Quote Originally Posted by Skandia View Post
    I have bought some bamboo flooring which I would like to install in our newly built house. It has a concrete slab. any idea on the best way to install the flooring?
    Hello.

I would like to suggest that you visit www.styleplantation.com and download the instructions to laying bamboo flooring.

If you are laying on a slab on a ground floor you have to put down a moisture barrier, the suggested product is a two pack mix available from sika agents. On top of the moisture barrier you will need to put down either a rubber mat or aucustic barrier, there are many suppliers for this on the market but again sika has the best system. The matt reduces sound by 15 db and the glue a further 12 db, T53 adhesive is used to join the mat to the floor and timber to the mat, available in a small / large sausage and bucket.

Before any of this can start you need to sight the floor for level, you CANT lay a bamboo floor on an uneven surface so the preparation needs to be perfect before laying can commence.

If you are laying on yellow tongue you just need to prepare the surface by removing all dust and dags ( same on concrete ), find your straight edge, remove all skirting boards if you are not using beading strips. Prep for 3 lengths in with full width, apply enough T53 or T55 on the back of the board, stick down firmly repeat until you have your line right, lay the rest with hidden nails every 3 to 4 rows and trowel the T53 or T55 down, preferably in the opposite direction to the laying.

After you have finished, you can not let anyone with work boots walk on the floor or it will scratch, my suggestion is lay down the boxes that came with the bamboo.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Paul Ashby