Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What Type Of Timber Flooring To Use

Hi i am a real beginner am in the process of building my house the builder i have hired has suggested using tasmanian oak for my floor, however i have heard that this is at the lower end of the market in regards to quality is this true and if so what would be an above average timber floor base to use ??
    THANKS

The bottom of the dung heap is
    Chipboard
    Plywood
    Radiata pine
    Meranti
    Baltic Pine

Tas Oak is a nice timber that will make a very good floor,
    Different hardwood floors can give you different appearances.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Hi mistado , welcome to the forums, go to this web on tas oak http://www.gunns.com.au/timber/tasoak.html . google any other hardwood to find out its qualities.
    Regards

Pal
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

thanks guys, will keep on looking into it

It depends on how you think what a good floor is, Tassy oak or Victorian ash looks bloody beautiful with a warm blonde tone. But it is on the softer side and will dent easily.
    Go to a flooring place(or google) borals Janka list(the hardness of each flooring species)
    Its cheaper and if you dont have kids running amuck or you will not have hi traffic or HI HEELS, Then it might be ok.
    6-7 on the janka scale is not terrible.
    If trees screamed when we cut them down, we wouldnt. But if they screamed all the time , we would.

Quote Originally Posted by MISTADO View Post
    Hi i am a real beginner am in the process of building my house the builder i have hired has suggested using tasmanian oak for my floor, however i have heard that this is at the lower end of the market in regards to quality is this true and if so what would be an above average timber floor base to use ??
    THANKS
    You heard wrong.

My take on Tasmanian Oak. For what it's worth.

high heels will leave lots of little dents (reasonably noticable) in Tassie Oak. Have a look at some of the harder timbers ie Grey Iron Bark, Grey Box etc.

I installed Grey Iron Bark and dropped a hammer from the top of a ladder onto the newly laid boards without leaving a dent! Lucky it was being polished the next day!

Pervious people have mentioned janka rating, Grey iron Bark has janka rating of 13, and looks great.

Whatever you decide, check out tradeconnect.com.au as they can source increadibly cheap flooring.