Default Seeking suggestions for finishing box!!

Hi all,

First time forum poster and fairly new to woodworking. I am making a box for my fiancee for christmas out of QLD budgeroo with some PNG ebony dovetail keys through the corners of the box, and am looking for some suggestions on what to use to finish the box??

In the past I have always tended to use polyurethane satin finishes on most stuff (cabots/feast watson), but being something special for a special lady, I would like to make things as perfect as possible!!

Am open to suggestions, had maybe thought of french polishing but am not sure if there are any other products out there on the market that may be a better alternative.

Thanks for all your help in advance, O knowledgable ones!!

Cheers

If you want something simple and low sheen, I reckon you can't go past a wax finish. A coat or two of sanding sealer and then 3 coats of Traditional Wax. Comes up a treat and is easy to repair if it gets damaged.

Another one I like is several coats of shellac rubbed back with 0000 steel wool and then a couple of coats of wax. That one has a bit more lustre and the shellac imparts an amber tone.

French polishing is a bit of an art form and they usually recommend you get some lessons before you start splashing polish over an important project.

Get yourself a copy of A Polishers Handbook from the forum owner - you'll find several finishing methods and other topics covered in it.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I agree with silent on this one, I would not french polish if you haven't tried it before, maybe you could Miniwax it but for a small project like a box I would go along with silentC, sanding sealer and then Traditional wax it. Brings up a really nice finish. Good luck.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

What they said, or you could go oil and wax. a bit of Danish oil is good under tradwax; I really like the way it deepens the colour and gives a glow without a high shine. Lets the timber do the talking. I find many women prefer subtle to flashy, and not just when it comes to timber finishes either.
    "Look out! Mum's in the shed and she's got a hammer!"

Thanks very much for the info. i will give it a try on a test piece this weekend.

Any recommendations on brand of wax?? Ubeaut?? Organoil???

Cheers

Definitely U-Beaut Traditional Wax.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I'd go with oil and wax, but not a big fan of Danish oil. China wood or Scandinavian. Then Trad wax.
    Remember that the effort you put in shows in the end. Take time to sand to somewhere 'round 6-800g for a really good finish.

Regards,

Rob

Question Box Finish