Thread: Silverbatts

Default Silverbatts

Anyone have any experience with R6 triple layer batts?

I've seen two very brief threads and would like to see if there is anyone out there who have them and can rate their performance...

thanks...

The website for these make incorrect use of R-ratings and makes some other claims that seem exaggerated, maybe even misleading.

These are not unlike other products that have been around for quite a while and they have similar benefits and disadvantages - there are no free lunches with insulation - all have to compromise one way or another.

For example foil batts are harder to fit tightly against the various surfaces surrounding them and since they rely on closed airspaces for their effectiveness any gaps reduce their performance. They can easily be compressed and this too greatly reduces their effectiveness and they are virtually impossible to return to the original shape.

I have not used these specific brand of batts, but the R6 rating seems high - they seem little different to other foil batt solutions. Best is to look at the information sites that allow you to choose what is most suited for your location and house type etc.

A good starting point is:

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...ical/index.htm

especially

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...ical/fs16a.htm

I installed tophat silverfoil batts in last renovation in roof and double layer of concertina batts plus sarking to walls. What a huge difference to the old insulation we had!

Well worth the trouble to install.