Default Advice on removing lathe and plaster

Hi All,

I've just started out on the renovation road and this is my first posting. I've only found one post on this and thought I would throw it open again. I'm doing a Victorian weatherboard.

After weighing up the pros and cons I've decided to remove the lathe and plaster completely from the hallway and a couple of rooms in my house and replaster (the other rooms have already been done). I decided this was a much cleaner (except for the actually removing) and neater way and should result in a better job. Also I want to insulate the exterior walls when I get all the existing plaster off. I'm also going to pack the studs to bring the new plaster out as close as possible to the existing architrave and skirting position. I've got a friend of a friend who is a plasterer so the actual replastering is being done by a professional.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this in general. I'm particularly interested in safety gear (ie are the paper dusk masks you can get sufficient or do you need a full mask with filters) and if there are any good techniques for suppressing/getting rid of the dust. I read that you shouldn't use a domestic vacuum cleaners because the dust destroys them.

Any other contributions welcome.

Thanks for the useful and freindly forum

Cheers
    Richard

Richard, roof cavity dust is generally worse than walls and the like. Just a basic filter/respirator and some common sense ought to be your friends. The dust is a fine abrasive and will mostly just clog up a typical vaccy.

Try to maximise the prying and minimise the thumping; this will inherently keep dust levels down. A very light mist with the hose could be a possibility if the floor is completely in need of refinishing. Don't forget to kill the power while working, too - never know what bodgy wiring could be in there.

Cheers, Adam.

Hi Richard

I found that a lot of the past will stick together in clumps. I have used a shovel in the past to get rid of the bulk (depends on the floor situation though)!

I have one of the resperator style masks, you can get them at Bunnings. They aren't expensive and you fell much better at the end of the day. Also, I wear glasses so I fog up with a normal paper mask.

Thanks for the advice guys. Very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Richard