Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tung Oil

Default Tung Oil

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase "Raw" Tung Oil - the one without resins?

Cornards,

Maybe Ubeaut - not sure

or Howards Products - for sure
    Tamworth

woodcutta

Conrad, I got some a while ago at 3-D paint shop in Belconnen.
    Cheers
    Barry
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck then it's a friggin duck.

Cornards,
    Porters used to sell it here in Queensland but haven't seen any in ages. What do you want to go using Tung Oil for though? There are plenty of other products that do the job and without making every living thing in a ten mile radius mad with horrid alergies.

Tung oil is quite a nice finish if you don't want your timber to look like plastic. Try Howard Products for pure tung oil, or you can get tung oil based finishes from most hardware stores (look for the flooring finishes - Feast Watson and Intergrain both have one).

I've never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to straight Tung oil, but I suppose you might, if you are very nut sensitive "A mild dermatitis may occur with prolonged contact if individual is sensitive; possible nausea upon injestion." is what the MSDS states, unlike polyurethane which tends to be harmful or fatal if swallowed!

I ordered some pure tung oil from The Woodworks in Sydney last year from their website.

http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/site/...tml&pg=1000777

Default Raw is PURE

"Can anyone tell me where I can purchase "Raw" Tung Oil - the one without resins?"

It goes by the name China Wood Oil or 100% Pure Tung OIl. They are exactly the same oil except with different names. This product is food safe, do not add any solvents, must be used as is.

Both of these oils are "all resin" they contain no solvents.

I bought 1L from the hardware co. in annandale- $14

They buy in bulk and repackage for a few others so some stuff is fairly cheap.

First place I've seen 4L techniglue on the shelf...

Garth

There's a diff between 'pure' and 'raw' btw; if I could remember what it was I'd tell you
    Cheers, Ern

Pure Raw Linseed oil, is actually Flaxseed Oil, it is a very slow dying oil.

Boiled Linseed Oil contains a chemical drier, which causes this oil to polmerize (crosslink) and then cure.

What with the price and scarcity of "pure" Tung Oil, you might find Rustin's Danish Oil an excellent substitute.

Unlike modern "Danishes" (which are basically just thinned down PolyU) it is good stuff: a Tung Oil base with metallic driers.

Being TO based it is a tad on the expensive side, although not as expensive as pure TO, and it's readily available. I've used both (long been a TO fan) and personally I can't see much difference in the end result between the two.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Default Tung Oil VS Danish Oil

In the end pure 100% Tung Oil is food safe, whereas, the Danish Oil is not.

Danish Oil will give you better protection, if thats what your looking after.

I have been very interested in pure Tung oil, as a non-toxic finish that posses no risk when being applied. A food safe finish, an oil finish that dries relatively quickly, that will not breed mould like linseed oil.

I have therefore bought many products labeled as pure Tung oil, China Wood Oil, and raw Tung oil in search of this holy grail. A couple of observations, are that all these tung oils smell different, why?

Because of additives, the most common additive is an adulteration like soya bean oil. You can smell (faint like vege oil not nutty) the fact that it has been watered down and it is also very runny, the best tung oil I have seen was are very viscous. I would not be surprised that heavy metal driers are added to compensate the drying time. This is done by the manufacture often in China to extend the product. I have found almost all tung oils sold in places like Bunnings, and paint stores. These sources of tung oil are totally disappointing. Do not waste you money on them.

The best tung oil I have used is the China Wood Oil by Constantia I was given a bottle by Tim from Bowerbird. This is premixed with orange solvent (I can smell the orange) to accelerate hardening just like the Howards Orange Tung It dries in hours and gives a lovely mat finish.

I would love to try Tung Oil from Florida in the US were I believe it has been grown for the last decade as a measure of quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    I have been very interested in pure Tung oil, as a non-toxic finish that posses no risk when being applied. A food safe finish, an oil finish that dries relatively quickly, that will not breed mould like linseed oil.

I have therefore bought many products labeled as pure Tung oil, China Wood Oil, and raw Tung oil in search of this holy grail. A couple of observations, are that all these tung oils smell different, why?

Because of additives, the most common additive is an adulteration like soya bean oil. You can smell (faint like vege oil not nutty) the fact that it has been watered down and it is also very runny, the best tung oil I have seen was are very viscous. I would not be surprised that heavy metal driers are added to compensate the drying time. This is done by the manufacture often in China to extend the product. I have found almost all tung oils sold in places like Bunnings, and paint stores. These sources of tung oil are totally disappointing. Do not waste you money on them.

The best tung oil I have used is the China Wood Oil by Constantia I was given a bottle by Tim from Bowerbird. This is premixed with orange solvent (I can smell the orange) to accelerate hardening just like the Howards Orange Tung It dries in hours and gives a lovely mat finish.

I would love to try Tung Oil from Florida in the US were I believe it has been grown for the last decade as a measure of quality control.
    Ask for a Material Safety Data Sheet, if it list any thing besides 100% Tung Oil, then it is not pure Tung OIl.

Florida has not produce Tung Oil in many years, the plantations were destroyed by a few hurricanes.

South America, now produces excellent Tung Oil, it is lighter in color then the China Tung Oil.

If it says, "100 % Pure Tung Oil" it will not contain any additives at all.

I hope this helps.

MacS

Quote Originally Posted by MacS View Post
    Florida has not produce Tung Oil in many years, the plantations were destroyed by a few hurricanes.
    That is a real shame

As for Material Safety Data Sheet I will try it one day for a laugh tomorrow at my local paint shop, I just doubt any of the shops would even have anything like that on hand. Maybe they do never asked.

I have just seen so much pure tung oil come all shades, colors and scents and all of the worked differently I doubt that they were all pure tung oil. I doubt that I have ever seen the real stuff, it is almost like the holly grail of oils.