Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

correct me if i am wrong but vic does not have same requirments as NSW /QLD.

In NSW
    i know that if i was going to use american oak for flooring for argumnets sake it has to be treated against lycubuts borer attack but if it was for a table there is no problem.

it should apply for all timber not just timber used in construction.

G'day Gaza.
    Yep. Victoria is deemed to be Lyctus free. SO treating Suseptable sapwood is not required.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

nope , i burn me scraps in the heater, if it was treated it'd just be landfill
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by glock40sw View Post
    G'day Gazza.
    Yep. Victoria is deemed to be Lyctus free. SO treating Suseptable sapwood is not required.
    does that meam of you produce timber for vic you dont have to treat it, what about vic ash / tas oak.

G'day GAza.

technically, Yes.
    But it would be a pain in the Arrse segregating the production.
    Our production is treated so as to cover all states.
    Afterall, from the one production run, we could have packs from that run going to any state in the country or to the U.S.A. or Europe. So it is treated with Diffusol (Boron) H1 for flooring or Tanalith E H3 for decking.
    Both of these preservatives are approved in international destinations for the products we produce.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    what about vic ash / tas oak.
    Don't know, cause we don't get those weeds up here in Hardwood Country.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

It would be interesting to know, of those that did not use the the treated pine for their vegy garden, how many ended up dosing their soil/vegies with equal or more heavy metals in the form of snail pellets or other such goodies. Few people read the labels and know how many milligrams or micrograms per gram are in any of teh stuff they use.

Quote Originally Posted by glock40sw View Post
    Don't know, cause we don't get those weeds up here in Hardwood Country.
    no shi............t

but what if you sell vic ash in NSW it has to be treated but the mill being down south may not treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    no shi............t

but what if you sell vic ash in NSW it has to be treated but the mill being down south may not treat it.
    Well then it would have to be treated to meet NSW requirements.

I don't know if the do or not.

If I was using the product, I'd be asking the question. Afterall, If you install a Vic-weed floor and it gets attacked, who is going to wear the problem?

Installer? More than likely.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Quote Originally Posted by baccad View Post
    Just because this article appears to be on a creditable university website does not necessarily make it worth a second look. The article is posted on an academic's personal website and even though the academic appears to be a well qualified (but does not appear to have done any research on CCA treated timber) I still have significant reservations.

This is not a peer reviewed article but a (biased and possibly fear based ?) opinion riding on an academic reputation. It makes a general reference to literature that does not support CCA treated timber but does not even attempt to systematically refute the literature that does If this was an assignment handed to me by a first year uni student they would fail on this matter alone. When someone posts a personal opinion article like this on the web I generally take little notice of it.

My limited reading of the literature is that no definitive research has been done on whether CCA treated is absolutely safe using isotopically labelled materials and the reason it is being phased out in certain situations is because they don't know and don't want to take the risk. The definitive experiment would be incredibly expensive so it's easier for authorities to write a couple of policy/legal documents to cover their behinds and leave it at that.

This is Cedric's (co-presenter of Is Your House Killing You?) reply

Hi Phil

Re treated pine and veges. For “normal” individuals it should pose minimal risks, however if you have sensitivities or are particularly prone (pregnant, elderly, very young, immuno-compromised etc) probably a good idea to stay clear. As for advise, ensure there is a sufficient buffer zone & root veges tend to accumulate more than the leafy sorts. Also depends on the age of the timber and the leaching rates as well. Over time will leach out.
    As an aside, advise from the garden gurus and gardening australia is to remove such timber.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    Ced

Cedric Cheong
    Associate Lecturer
    Health & Environment
    School of Environmental Science
    Murdoch University
    Tel: + 61 8 9360 2701
    Fax: + 61 8 9360 4997

<noscript> <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL=/ym/login?nojs=1"> <style>* { visibility: }</style> <script> document.write('<style>* { visibility: visible; }</style>'); </script> </noscript><link media="all" href="http://l.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/16_11/mail/us/mail_blue_all.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"><script src="http://l.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/16_11/mail/mailcommonlib.js"></script><style type="text/css">.replbq{100%}</style><script type="text/javascript"> var LetterVals = { UIStrings : { __last : 'not used' }, StateDynamic : true, yplus_browser : false, premium_user : false, smsintl : "", SidebarSyncActionType : "read", SidebarSyncAuxActionType : "", SidebarSyncUID : "19181", SidebarSyncAuxUID : "", getString : function(id) { var result = this.UIStrings[id]; if ( result == null ) { return "Not translated: '" + id + "'"; } return result; } } </script><script src="http://l.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/pim/r/medici/16_11/mail/letter.js" type="text/javascript"></script><table class="applicationcontainer managementview" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="content">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Well thanks very much people for all of your very insightful views, and research I really appreciate it , i seriously did not think this was going to get much feedback /opinions and all are most certainly interesting thanks again I still have not finished the garden beds have had too many other things on and they are half finished I hate doing that... oh well no Home grown tomatoes for me come christmas day! should have it finished next week weather permitting