Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Siting of an open sided farm shed

I don't know if the Woodwork Forum is the right place to ask this question or if this the best place.

I am planning to build a small shed to protect my firefighter pump from the weather. Up until now I have covered it with a tin box when it is not needed ie raining. Unfortunately unexpected bad weather catches me out and the motor gets a good soaking. I want to build a three sided shed that protects the equipment but at the same time allows me to an run it without the inconvenience of removing/replacing the cover.

I have noticed open sided sheds on farms but have not taken any notice of what direction they face so as to avoid the rain. Can anyone enlighten me. I live in Norther NSW if this has a bearing on the answer. I have googled without success.

Have a look at your neighbors. You'll have prevailing winds and rain directions that they'll know. Look at your topography. Where does the wind and rain normally come from? Site accordingly. There'll always be the odd rain from the "other" direction so you'll probably still need to either cover the pump or place it far back into the shelter.

Sonja

Whitewood

Being an old shed salesman and builder my advise would be to build it facing away from your prevailing storms from my experience when living in Ballina and traversing all of the North Coast most of them used to come in from the south east to the south west so my advise would if all possible face it to the North.

Default open sided shed

Thanks Sonja and Barry,

I had sort of worked this out but thought there may have been an exact compas bearing that gave the best overall result. I have plenty of room to choose.

John White