Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default MATH QUIZ for 10 June 04

Good Evening Friends,
    A lady has just come to your shop and ordered 12 planters with 12 sides each.

What would be the length of the sides with a circumscribed diameter of 1 foot?

Also what degree of angle would you cut on the edges of the boards?

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

Ralph,
    As you know, you are posting on an Australian board. Just so you know, we don't say "math" we say "maths".
    I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out another difference between English and American.

I have no idea what the answer is to your question.

Respectfully
    Craig

..and probably with our metric system, she'd be thinking of a 10 sided pot, which would have an angle of 144° but because we couldn't work out the length of the sides, (Hopeless at maths you see), she would have to take a size of " about that"!!

Over to someone else now....I hear my Mum calling.....

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    ..and probably with our metric system, she'd be thinking of a 10 sided pot, which would have an angle of 144° but because we couldn't work out the length of the sides, (Hopeless at maths you see), she would have to take a size of " about that"!!
    And if she does not like that she could go to Bunnies who have a large range in stock and if not they will order it in. Or sell her a few half barrells so you can first drink the wine then cut them in half.

Peter.

but having first drunk the contents of the wine barrel you would not be in any fit state to go anywhere near a power tool for about year. and if you did the cut on the barrel would probably look like a dogs hind leg!

secondly whats wrong with a square planter box?

circumscribed sounds like its not 2 far removed from a Jewish tradition! :eek:

Cheers Ian
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

12 sides means 24 angles, one for each end of each board. 360/24 = 15 degrees off square for each end of each board.

Method #1. The circumference of a circle with diameter 1' is pi x diameter = the value of pi (3.14159265358979323846264) in feet. 12 arcs, so each arc is 3.14159265358979323846264/12 in feet or 3.14159265358979323846264". The straight line between the ends of an arc is less than the arc itself.There is a formula for calculating that length, but I don't remember it.

Method #2. You end up with 12 triangles each with 2 sides of 12 inches and the angle between those equal sides is 15 degrees. There is a method of calculating the length of the 3rd side, but I don't remember that either.

Take it from here, someone. PLEASE!!!!!

In a previous life I was a matrimonial lawyer. The only maths I needed to know was division by 2.

It only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth.

Hello Guys,
    I am going to try to attach something that will help you out in figuring this quiz.

Hope it works, if not I will type it in when I answer the quiz.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Robert WA
    In a previous life I was a matrimonial lawyer. The only maths I needed to know was division by 2.
    I thought it was by 3. One third to each of party and the remaining thirds was the lawyer's fee.

Peter.

360/12 = 30 degrees per sector.

Internal angles of any triangle = 180 degrees. Triangle is symmetrical, therefore both other angles = 75 degrees. (30 +75 +75 = 180) This is the angle of cut.

Dia = 1' Radius = 0.5' = 6"

Split triangle in 2 to form two right angled triangles.

Simple trig rules for any right angle triangle as below. We know angle A = 75 degrees. Length c = 0.5'

COS 75 degrees = b / 0.5 Therefore b = COS 75 x 0.5 = 0.1294'

Length of side = 2 x b = 0.2588' = 3.1058" = approx 3 7/64"
    Last edited by Tonz; 11th June 2004 at 09:22 AM.

Default MATHS QUIZ ANSWER for 10 June 04

Good Morning Friends,
    Tonz, you are indeed correct in your answer of 3 7/16" per side with a 15 degree angle.

Fellows if you will look up to my other post you will find the polygon formula that I attached. just click onto it and enlarge it, then print it out for some great help to you in figuring these different things out.

Don't worry as it is a JPEG image and guaranteed virus free. Email me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio