Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Kitchen flooring

Hello to all;
    I need some advice please and what better place to ask...
    I have totally rebuilt a new kitchen and now I am just about ready to put in my cupboards etc. What I would like to know I have bought the masonite underlay and will be getting the flooring shortly, can I lay the underlay and flooring before I install my cupboards or can I just lay my underlay before the cupboards or must the cupboards etc be put in first then the flooring?
    If for any reason the cupboards go in first why?

Many thanks in advance.........

Hi There

What sort of flooring?

You can do it either way, however I would lay the flooring forst for a few reasons.
    1. It's painful to cut around all the kitchen cabinets, when the room is probably a rectangle.
    2. If it's tiles, there is a heap oif wasteage caused by no.1.
    3. If you or someone else decides to remodel in a few years it would be really annoying to find there was no floor under tha cabinets.
    4. I think the finish looks better if you don't have cut edges around cabinets.

Like OBBob, I'd put the floor down first, unless you really want to save the bit that's under the cupboards. You'll get a neater finish and it's easier than cutting around them.
    It looks like you're not using tiles though, or you'd be using CTU instead of masonite. It looks like you're using cork or,,,,,,,, lino. :shudder:

Default Kitchen flooring

The flooring will probably be good quality lino .looked at a manufacturer called "Kardean".........very good quality and stunning designs and colours. The masonite is going over TG and part old floorboards...and no I dont want to polish the floor as it is only partly floor boards.due to a new addition.

Many thanks again guys

Any more replys?? or thoughts...........

I would go under the cabinets if I was doing it.

Are you using linoleum or vinyl? Forbo make Marmoleum and Artoleum.

www.forbo-flooring.com.au

which ever is the better product..........and good quality
    any recommendations?

With linoleum and vinyl, it is not a case of what is the better product. It is your choice.

Linoleum is a floor covering made from solidified linseed oil (linoxyn) in combination with wood flour or cork dust over a burlap or canvas backing.

Vinyl is PVC. Poly Vinyl Chloride based.

Google search and there is a lot of info. Lino is dearer and vinyl is cheaper.

If you are talking about bulk or roll lino or vinyl, not tiles, then you will be buying the stuff you cutaway around cupboards. All this cutting takes time - lots of it - and there is always the risk that you will cut in the wrong place and have to buy more.......

Plus if you lay to the edges, even with tiles, you have some flexibility to remodel later.

I'd lay the floor first FWIW.

Cheers

Graeme

Aries - I'm in the same boat as you on this job. I would like to lay the underlay first but need to find out about durability of the material; ie: how long is it acceptable for this to be down before it can be tiled over? In my case it will be a few weeks before I can get back to the tiling.

In addition, I am resheeting the walls of the kitchen so would like the gyprock to be 10mm above the underlay as opposed to the floor boards. Not a biggy - I can just raise the sheet the thickness of underlay + 10mm if wall sheets go on first.

As I am tiling the kitchen, the new room, entrance, laundry and hallway, I will have plenty of cutting of both the underlay and tiles aeround doorways, architraves etc, so I'm thinking a number of cuts around the kitchen cupboards is going to be nothing.

I don't think there is a better way over the other - the main issue relates to how much cutting you actually want to do!

cheers and let us know how you get on.