Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Upper Ferntree Gully in the Dandenongs in Victoria

Default Anti-bacterial cutting boards

Timber has the unique property of destroying bugs, germs etc likely to cause humans distress or death (botulism type germs). Provided you don't leave foodstuffs on the board (yes even chicken meat), just rinse under the tap with a stiff brush, then no live bacteria will be detected after about 5 minutes.
    This compares with a nylon cutting board whose open molecular structure can harbour diabolical infestations days after use even after scrubbing.
    Therefore don't do anything to the board that might inhibit this valuable property
    Regards
    Pete
    Practising Professional Engineer

As noted above and elsewhere, a comparative study of the anti-microbial effects of timber found that there was evidence only in the case of pine. And that study as well as several others did not test for viruses or parasites.
    Cheers, Ern

Default Additional information wanted..

Hi Pete,

Could you give us some information that would lead us to this information. I certainly would like to know more about that subject.

Upper Ferntree Gully in the Dandenongs in Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by MacS View Post
    Hi Pete,

Could you give us some information that would lead us to this information. I certainly would like to know more about that subject.
    My information came from my old woodwork teacher when we were making cutting boards for our Mums. We were working in Pine at the time so I suppose the assertion was true. However over my lifetime I have extrapolated the assertion (improperly it now seems) to other boards that I have used without ill affects.

Again however, I seem to remember some kind of investigative project that looked at a number of different materials for antibacterial effectiveness because the one that stuck in my mind was the adverse result concerning, what was then a popular board material, nylon. Also glass was not that good either.

I will see if I can find details of this investigation and post it for everyone

Regards
    Pete
    Practising Professional Engineer

Here's the thread with reference to three study abstracts I found on a quick search: https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...ight=parasites
    Cheers, Ern

[quote=MacS;621340]I never tried Oxen tongue, I personally perfer the Kangoroos they are more particular at what they eat, so their tongues are much sweeter.

Hmm! good point I've eaten a lot of kangaroo in my time but never tried the tongue or any of the other fifth quarter as they describe offal in Europe, Well next time the Folks on the farm get the go ahead for a cull, I'll see that I save a bit and try it.( we are due for a cull as the roos are in huge numbers and the drought hasn't broken,its trully terrible to see them thousands starving to death)
    Ox tongue is fantastic especially thinly sliced and charcoal grilled,is that what you guys call broiled? season with salt and lemon juice, yum!