Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default another new deck

Hi, I posted something on here before about extending my deck out just enough to cover the old stairs I would like to remove, however after seeing Jaysons and Loki's new big decks I have visions of granduer.

The plan is to remove the front stairs which I don't require any more and add a new deck along the front of my home which will be built between the 2 arrows as displayed in the picture. The measurements are 8 meters long and 4 meters wide.

This deck will be joining my existing deck but it will be stepped down around 300 mm so the height of the new decking floor won't exceed 4 meters from the ground because I intend on using stainless wire balustrading.

This new deck will have a roof so I guess I should be calling it a verandah. My first question is before I even get into symantecs about spans and best suited timber is asthetics. I have supplied a side view picture as well of my home and wanted your oppions and suggestions about wether adding this new verandah with a basic lean-too type roof would suit the existing design. If not any suggestions would be appreciated before I start submitting plans.

Cheers TJ

It's hard to tell from the perspective, but if you went out four metres, then wouldn't that put you on top of that block retaining wall?
    You'd be a lot more than four metres from the ground if that was the case.

Hi, yeah your right from the angle it is deceptively small. I still have 500mm between where the front posts will go in the ground before the retaining wall starts to have a deck of 4 metres width.

My real question is what do you sugest I do with the roof line. I have no idea. I know I can't just keep extending the existing roofline at it's existing angle because I will run out of roof height.

TJ

Without dropping the deck further for more headroom, I've got no ideas. A flat roof wouldn't compliment the design. You can get roof extendas and keep the same pitch, but that would look like bit of an abortion as well.
    Not a bad looking house, although the handrails and pickets would be more suited to a traditional federation type design, than the 'funky' contemporary look you've got going. You've got the right idea replacing them with cable I reckon.