Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Dips

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat2 View Post
    I stabilized the digital TV about 2 years back by running a dedicated earth to the antenna shield and it worked well until about 6 months ago and now we are getting pixalation and sound drop outs again but not as bad..
    Wombat,
    Where are you in Brissy?? I have started getting major pixelation on Channel 7 and some on Channel 9. Im thinking it is something locally causing the interference. Its been dodgy for the past week or so.

Im in Bald Hills.

Sorry Ive got no different suggestions on your power issue!

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    Single phase - 25 Amps x 8 = 200 Amps Elkangorito how do you come up with 200 amps on a single phase supply? I can understand where you are geting the 25 amps from but why are you multipling it by 8 for? his is how i see it if the compressor was rated at 8hp for instance 750watt is roughly = 1hp i actually think it is 746 watts but anyway 750X8 = as you stated 6000w or 6kwif you divide this by 240 volts that will give you the current drag on the motor= 25 amps which is what you have also done but why did why did you multiply it by 8 for again are you using the 8 as 8 times the the current draw to give a rough estimate of start current just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by another termite View Post
    He, as you have said used it to estimate the start current.
    "another termite" is on the ball.

Now that we know the OPs' a/c unit is about 3kW (electrical), 12.9 x 8 = about 103 Amps (worst case scenario). Such an inrush current, added to the existing domestic electrical load, can definitely cause voltage drops if;

1] electrical connections have become more resistive with age.
    2] the distribution transformer is nearing its' full load capacity.
    3] electrical motors do exhibit an increased current usage with age, although this is often negligible.

A late edit:
    4] the consumer mains are too small (due to increased demand over the years).
    “I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” - Nikola Tesla.