Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bee extermination

Every Spring I get bees at my house.

Last year I got a guy to come out and he sprayed some white powder, no protective clothing, took him 5 minutes and charged me $90!

I sealed off the previous entrace hole but they are apparently back (wife just called me at work with the good news)

Does anyone have any advice re where I can get the powder (I think it is called Coopex?) or where I can get the applicator from? Any advice re application method?

I am in Adelaide. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer74 View Post
    Every Spring I get bees at my house.

Last year I got a guy to come out and he sprayed some white powder, no protective clothing, took him 5 minutes and charged me $90!

I sealed off the previous entrace hole but they are apparently back (wife just called me at work with the good news)

Does anyone have any advice re where I can get the powder (I think it is called Coopex?) or where I can get the applicator from? Any advice re application method?

I am in Adelaide. Cheers
    They might just be swarming and are having alook for the old hole.
    you could get some type of wasp/bee powder at a hardware store
    usually in a puffer bottle.
    Puff it into the hole and along other spots you might see.

Unfortunately some of the powders you may see at your local stores dont have the extra "Zing" that the professionals use and bees may take alittle while to die.

so if you want to do it yourself, puff as much as you can, where the bees are entering, then run.

wait for a while till the bees drop in numbers (could be 30mins) then hit them again.

be careful of the divebombers, (the half dead flying bees ,who are intent to take someone out and it doesnt matter who)
    you can even make yourself a bee veil , an old straw hat with mesh around it.

Or you can ring the pestie and laugh at him when he gets stung!

Read the label at all time before use

Thanks Bugsy

We used to get them too. Last time we had bricklayers here, I got them to pull out the breeze block the bees were using and put some stainless mesh behind it. So far so good.

Prior to that, I used to hang a shelltox pest strip over the entrance as soon as they started showing interest. Worked a treat. The pest strips are off the market now, but there is an insect strip you can get for inside the garbage bin that should work...

woodbe.

The chances are that you have wax and maybe some honey in there now that will attract more. Call an apiarist to collect the swarm, maybe clear out the wax etc and see if they can make some suggestions.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

I agree with meerkat - many apiarists/beekeepers will come and remove "wild" bee nests for free, and take them back to a new hive.

Dunno if its in a wall though, then extermination might be the only option.
    Rick Burlow