Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Can Scanned Receipts Be Used.........

when returning an item that is still within the warranty period?

Given all the receipts I have collected this past year or two. I was thinking of scanning them so I could throw the originals away and save a bit on space. Thus if I needed a receipt to return an item, I would print the scanned original receipt and take that to the store.

Any law experts on this question?

Cheers
    MH

No law expert but if they insist on giving us receipts on thermal paper that fade when placed in the vicinity of plastic then they should be willing to take a scanned copy.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Gday MH, dunno about the legalities, but I agree with Stinky, power tool warranties are up to 3 years, & the thermal receipts often won't last anywhere near this long.

I often suggest to customers to photocopy the receipt, but I'd reckon it'd be wise to still retain the original

Theoretically speaking, a scanned receipt could be anyones. We get people stealing product to match receipts they have found. There's always scammers around, so would be a bugger to be legitimate but assumed to be dishonest.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Yes they can. You'd have to be really lucky to be able to forge a receipt this way. The scanned receipt will contain a lot of information such as date of purchase, goods sold, price, transaction and or receipt number, terminal, cashier, blah blah blah.

When I was looking after POS stuff, the receipt number (sometimes the barcode thing you get at the bottom of the docket) is all that is entered for a return. This is because in some cases you can trace an item back by serial number/batch/supplier and so on.
    Semtex fixes all

Hi,

Firstly, thanks guys for the replies.

I have just got off the phone (it's bl--dy uncomfortable!!) from having spoken to a guy at the Dept of Justice (Consumer Affairs). He stated there wasn't any law stating you cannot use a scanned copy but obviously if you had the original it is less likely to be challenged by the vendor. So I asked him what would happen if I had lost all my receipts in a house fire but I had a DVD disc with the receipts scanned on it. Surely that would be OK to use as proof? He could only say that if there was a problem with an insurance claim, or problem with a vendor refusing to replace a faulty item then report it to their department and they would look into it.

I'm just very surprised that there is no LAW stating whether it is or isn't OK to use a copy of a document as proof of purchase. As q9 said previously if it has all your credit card details on it that should be enough proof.

Cheers
    MH

I always scan my receipts.
    I also make sure they look scanned.

Picture bigger than receipt.
    Receipt not quite square.
    No cropping to receipt size.
    Full colour scan.

That way it is obvious that it was an original receipt.

GMC asked for my receipt so I emailed them a copy.
    They were happy.

tax man won't accept them
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

If it is a condition of the warranty that a receipt is provided then the original receipt is indeed required, however they MAY accept your scanned copy.

But if it is only a condition of the warranty that proof of purchase be required then a scanned copy, or photo copy, is okay.

It depends on the fine print in the warranty and reading the individual warranty is necessary.

Peter.

I thought I would just paste this reply that I have had back today, from the consumers affairs office here in Melbourne.

MH

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

The legislation does not require that the consumer retains original proof of purchase. However, it is generally at the business' discretion as to whether they will accept a scanned copy of a receipt as they may be concerned that the document has been tampered with.

Consumer Affairs Victoria recommends that the purchaser retains the original receipt. In any case, the purchaser may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to determine the validity of the receipt.

If you require further advice or information, please contact Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 55 81 81.

Yours sincerely,

Enquiries Branch
    Consumer Affairs Victoria