Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Feeling grumpy - quoted delivery times - good vs. bad

Have you ever noticed the difference in quoted delivery times for items ordered from reputable Australian dealers, compared with those from reputable US / Canadian dealers?

Here are some good examples:

Example: I bought something from Lee Valley (I'll name this one, because *everyone* already knows they are great). They quoted me 6-10 days delivery, it arrived in five days.

Example: I bought some clothes from a US store. They quoted 8-12 days delivery, parcel arrived in 8 days.

Example: I often buy from Amazon, ordering at least one item every month. Only when goods are out of stock do they vary outside the quoted order times, and then I'm advised by eMail and given the option to change my order, part-ship the order, or just wait to get everything together.

Here are some reasons why I'm more grumpy than usual:

Example: I ordered a table saw from a vendor. Quoted delivery time 3-5 days into their store for me to collect. Wait six days then call ... "Naaaah, not here yet mate, might follow it up later".

Example: A workbench ordered on 6-8 weeks lead time. Six weeks later I happened to be in the shop on another matter, mentioned the order, and get told ... "They're still maybe 3-4 weeks away from landing."

Grrrrrr.

The lesson (if any vendor is interested):

GOOD vendors quote a realistic delivery time.

GOOD vendors try to deliver on or before the earliest quoted date.

GOOD vendors notify the customer as soon as a delay is known.

Like every relationship with customers, the aim should be to
    "Under promise and over deliver" that is, quote the customer double the time you think it'll take, and then add 50%, so when it takes twice the time you thought, they're still happy it came early.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Had another example of that attitude a few weeks ago.

My daughter in Adelaide needed a new pendulum movement for a clock my wife had made for her.
    I suggested she go to a woodworking tool business on Magill Rd that shall remain nameless.
    So she did (this is July) and was told it needed to be ordered in, would be 3-4 weeks delivery, she would be phoned when it came in. So far so good.

I visited her again this October, week before Melbourne WWWS, and she mentioned she hadn't heard from said store re pendulum movement.
    No worries says I, I'm going there to have a look at some Teknatool stuff. So I ask the person serving me about the pendulum movement order. Hang on, he says, I'll have a look. Comes back, yeah it is in the order book, but it hasn't been ordered yet, I''ll do it today.

Don't worry, says I, I'll get one from the WWWS! And I did, for $10, against the $25 quoted by the non-performing, non-caring store in Adelaide!

No worries, she'll be right..................

Ron,

Have a read of my posts in the Router jig Forum.

I think I'm almost over it!

CP

The table saw was collected today.

The workbench? Well, let's just say that I'm seeing a trend about a company with a three letter name