Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I did a couple of kitchens like this. A mate had a $16K panel saw. Here is the story:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/show...=pulse+kitchen

Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Notsquare View Post
    Oh man! Where were you when I started this kitchen. I'll see what I can do to remedy this problem. I like glass too. Typically what type do you specify, does it really have to be toughen? Would laminate 3x3 not do?
    Hey NS - I have been hanging around here for a while now...I just haven't seen any kitchen related questions from you before...shame that...

I have just finished speaking with one of my glass splashback suppliers regarding your question.

According to the supplier, it is mandatory to have toughened glass behind a cooktop as laminated glass can supposedly break under temperature change stress.

The same supplier also prefers to hang toughened glass wherever possible - their reason is that if the glass takes a hit, the toughened glass breaks into little pieces unlike the laminated which will fracture into shards.
    In situations where a piece of glass is too small to be toughened, such as under a window, they will use a piece of annealed glass instead.

I hope this helps more than it hurts.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Thanks Earl for your contribution, I think I might look at stainless sheet instead. Toughen glass is way expensive. I didn't realise the laminated glass was dangerous in this situation. It reminds me of that poem about baby boomers, and how they managed to get to adult hood without these regulations.

Hey N.S.

Stainless is good - just make sure you get an adequate substrate - not too thin or else all the imperfections in the wall will show.

As for babyboomers (hey, I'm a child of the metric system) in my opinion, the reason everyone is flat out covering their collective arses these days is because of all the moneyed up BB's ready to go them at the slightest drop of a shard of glass!

Litigation was never an issue in the 50's - 60's - 70's...but then again, there weren't many glass splash backs around then either.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens