Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    You may challenge all you like, but I'm not interested in having a philosophical discussion about the distinction and similarities of arrogance and foolishness.

I come here primarily for the woodworking but occasionally may make my opinions known about other matters, and may amplify or clarify them if I feel that is necessary. The same way as others may do.

But I don't come here to have philosophical debates, I left them behind when I left school , and if I did want to I would join a debating forum. Further the distinction and similarities of the words arrogance and foolishness would be better discussed in an English language forum rather then boor the tears out of everybody, for this is still primarily a woodworking board.

Peter.
    Thank you for telling me, and thank you for not starting a boring discussion, but what has this got to do with my (rethorical) question to Groggy? BTW, it was about behaviours, not words.

Default no fun at all

"A lot of the questions on this board would be unneccessary if members read the instructions first, so why not read them as they are authoritive whereas a lot of the answers here are not."

and then we'd have no fun at all
    astrid

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, Groggy, but the instructions you mention apply only to illegal/unsavoury behaviour.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    What's wrong with challenging somebody (light-heartedly) to a deeper level of debate in this thread, specifically set up "to have your say on what ever you wish. Rant and rave. Give someone a pat on the back, or a kick their bum. ONE STIPULATION: Keep it about woodwork and related woodies stuff"?
    Nothing wrong with light hearted debate at all. My post was a suggestion to keep it light, and to no-one in particular. If it was specific there would most likely be a missing post and a PM to explain why. Sometimes I'll intervene before the fact to stave off a problem I think is coming. If I'm wrong - good!

Why do you assume it was directed at you - mens rea?

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    "A lot of the questions on this board would be unneccessary if members read the instructions first, so why not read them as they are authoritive whereas a lot of the answers here are not."

and then we'd have no fun at all
    astrid
    Yikes!! A paradox...

The navigator GPS element to this thread provides me with a good example of how I deal with instructions. I bought one of the el cheapo ones from Kmart, and the manufacturer, used to dealing with impatient people like me, provided "quick-read" instructions. The real instructions were downloadable. Great system.

I read the quick instructions, got the thing going without any problems (it's been great) and the company saved paper and printing.

But for those poor souls that need to read through all of the instructions, they are available on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    The navigator GPS element to this thread provides me with a good example of how I deal with instructions. I bought one of the el cheapo ones from Kmart, and the manufacturer, used to dealing with impatient people like me, provided "quick-read" instructions. The real instructions were downloadable. Great system.

I read the quick instructions, got the thing going without any problems (it's been great) and the company saved paper and printing.

But for those poor souls that need to read through all of the instructions, they are available on the net.
    Have to agree, this is a great way to do it. It also is a huge bonus for those who may have lost the manual.

I have one customer who is most upset that the manuals for most computer stuff are now on a CD in .pdf format.

He wants a book he can read... he just doesn't 'get it' that hardly anybody reads a book or manual anyway.

The same bloke is like watching paint dry when he is at work.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post

Why do you assume it was directed at you -
    Well, it was the reply next to my post...

mens rea?
    No, experientia dolorifera!