Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Instant/Easy Lawn recommendations (buffalo or couch)

I want to lay around 40sq meters of lawn (I have plenty of tank water).

Requirements are:
    Low water usage or requirements (or as low as possible)
    Self repairing
    Shade tolerant (60% will be in full sun; however approx 40% will be in shade most of the day).

I'm in Melbourne.

I've looked at StrathAyr instant lawn and the 2 that seem best fit are Sir Walter (buffalo) at $10.40sqm and Legend (couch) at $8.45sqm.

Any recommendations?

I just laid 60sqm of Sir Walter and we are very happy with it. Very shade tolerant, and apparently pretty drought resistant. Its quite soft under foot, and has taken root very quickly with little worry. We watered twice a day for the first two weeks (had Sydney Water permit) and have now dropped off to once per week a month after laying. We'lll water thru the first summer, then leave it to fend for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kaliani View Post
    I just laid 60sqm of Sir Walter and we are very happy with it. Very shade tolerant, and apparently pretty drought resistant. Its quite soft under foot, and has taken root very quickly with little worry. We watered twice a day for the first two weeks (had Sydney Water permit) and have now dropped off to once per week a month after laying. We'lll water thru the first summer, then leave it to fend for itself.
    Excellent.
    Did you spread sand over the surface after laying (as described on website)?
    Did you roll after laying
    I assume you have no idea of how much water you used over the first few weeks?

I put down 25m2 of Sir Walter in our front garden of our previous home. Didn't put any sand down. Didn't roll it. It looked and grew great. My only issue was the amount of maintenance it required, due to invasion of neaby garden beds etc.

Buffalo is my pick of the 2, as the runners on this grass are surface runners, which means it grows over the surface and is easy to keep in check. Couch has sub surface runners which means it can invade garden under edging, path or other obstacles. SWB also is great in either sun or shade.

Sand over the top is recommended (white sand), it ties in the gaps between each roll (like sweeping sand in pavers) and helkps it establish quicker. Also can provide a bit of moisture retention too.

Just make sure to get plenty of Saturaid or similar wetting agent and put some bottom and on top to keep it moist. As new rolls have only an inch or so of soil on the roll it dries very quickly....needs 2 waters a day in warmer or windy weather.
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au

Don' ever get couch cause you'll regret it and be fighting it for the rest of your life for the reason that Planned LScape says.

I posted a thread a while back 'Whats the best turf' http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=46468
    and only just laid my turf last week. After all the feedback on here and going out to various friends and mates of mates places to see there real life lawn not the turf companies own photos, i settled on palmetto.

Its meant to be a softer leaf buffalo, uses 1/3 less water, less mowing, self repairs reall well, acceptable to dogs and a lot of foot traffic and can handle shade. I'll have to wait a season or two to really see how it goes but it ticked all my requirements. I'll post some photos up tomorrow if you like.

Don't bother with a couch turf if you have alot of shade. It will grow leggy and sparse.

While not quite as drought tollerant, a soft leaf buffalo will give you a much better coverage in sun and shade.

Quote Originally Posted by want2learn View Post
    I posted a thread a while back 'Whats the best turf' http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=46468
    and only just laid my turf last week. After all the feedback on here and going out to various friends and mates of mates places to see there real life lawn not the turf companies own photos, i settled on palmetto.

Its meant to be a softer leaf buffalo, uses 1/3 less water, less mowing, self repairs reall well, acceptable to dogs and a lot of foot traffic and can handle shade. I'll have to wait a season or two to really see how it goes but it ticked all my requirements. I'll post some photos up tomorrow if you like.
    One thing to watch with Palmetto is that it doesnt like broadleaf weed control chemicals, even those that are suppposedly safe to use on grass. Apart from that it's exactly like Sir walter in look and drought tolerance
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au