Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default attention Rod Plasterbok

Hi all and to Rod well for years maybe more than 5 years or more I wanted to set up a site to give advise on plastering. I'm a solid plasterer and Im too happy to give people advise on all aspects of plastering. Our apprentice covered tiling concreting plasterboard and solid wall plastering.
    I just happened to click on Rods web site and Im impressed. I dont know whether I want to add suggestions to Rods site or to make my own but I have not much or no experience in setting web pages. I have many photos of jobs I worked at.
    I prefer working with plasterglass than gypboard but it is harder to put up.
    We pulled down a ceiling today of plasterglass and boy was it hard to get down. Of coarse we will be replacing with wetcheck (in the bathroom water proof gypboard) I was told gyprock is a company name for plasterboard but gypboard is the product from when I was doing building studies.
    To Rod you seem to have the same type of enthusiasm as me all too happy to help you obviously like your work and take pride in your work like me well done.

Rmartens thank you very much.

As a matter of fact I am not a solid plaster and never profess to have anything other than a passing knowledge of rendering etc.

I have no idea if you are interested or not but I would be more than happy to look at adding pages to my site on solid plastering if you would like to provide the info and pics. All credited to you and your company of course.

I maintain the site simply because I get an great deal of pleasure out of helping people out. Apart from about a dollar a day in click on ads don't expect to make anything out of it.

Except that I would like to produce a full DVD on plastering that I would sell on the site, but that is a way off yet.

My site is very much a work in progress and I add things in bursts as time allows. I'm definitely a plasterer before a web page designer. I have just blundered my way through. Email me if you like or phone be happy to speak to you about it. Even if you set up your own site on rendering etc. I would be very happy to put direct links to you, ether way.

BTW Gyprok is a company name for CSR's plasterboard. Gypboard (I may stand corrected here) is the name of New Zealand plasterboard manufacturer. India as well (if that matters).

Cheers

Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Two thumbs up to both of you guys, as well as to Neil for providing this fantastic site.

There's a lot of satisfaction in giving a bit back to an industry that's provided you with an enjoyable career. And it's enough just to get the occasional 'thank you' in appreciation.

Thats great Rod I think for the time being I would be too happy to add information to your site. I will try to get all my things together in the weeks that follow and send you an email. Interesting about the company names like in New Zealand Im not sure how many companies csr have around Australia I would like to learn more on how plaster is produced as companies are very secretive in the formulas they put in their plaster.

To pawnhead thankyou yes I agree I get satisfaction in sharing my information and hoping what ever people decide to do they will be succesfull in achieving their desired finish.
    Its good to share experiences because sometimes things dont work and so we must try other ways. As Rod mentions in one thread he was giving advise to and a good reference point for me as well.

I definatly have a lot of photos of different jobs and will be happy to forward to your site Rod. The cement ratios I use and also maybe an easy way for people that are not as skilled if they want to try to render walls.

Ok Rmartens we will get it done when you get the chance. Best to communicate via email rather than bore everyone to death here.

But in the meantime you might get some progressive photos of various types of work being done in various stages.

I look forward to putting together some rendering/solid plaster pages.

Btw I haven't put up photos of finished work done as yet as most are more interested in how its done.

I may soon do an "ideas" page to show what you can do, but later as I have no where near finished my tips pages.

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by rod@plasterbrok View Post
    Btw I haven't put up photos of finished work done as yet as most are more interested in how its done.

I may soon do an "ideas" page to show what you can do, but later as I have no where near finished my tips pages.

Cheers Rod
    I think a photos page of finished work would be a fantastic idea. I just sheeted up a wall in our loungeroom and it was the first time I had ever had anything to do with plasterboard. Looking at it finished now I would probably have liked to have seen some photos of how it should be done before I started. Where I nailed in the cornice the screws in the plasterboard had popped out through the paint so it will probably have to be ripped down and done all over again. Hopefully when I do there will be some pics for me to compare!

Benno84 I meant finished Jobs that had been painted etc, like look at the type of work we can do sort of pics.

Are you saying you nailed the "cornice" as opposed to "corners". You can fix popped screws or nails. The most common cause is when a screw is too close to adhesive. The adhesive shrinks very slightly and pulled the sheet tighter causing the plaster around the nail head to crack. The other cause is slight movement in the frame. It is not uncommon to get a popped nail in an internal corner.

To my horror I found one in my own place last week!

To fix them knock the popped nail or screw in with a hammer and place another screw each side of it. Then stopp them up again and repaint. If they pop again you will have a framing issue to sort out.

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Just want to add my thanks
    I had a sleep out and a room off it that where both face brick .But after covering the wall in gyprock the room will now be a nice looking bedroom and the sleep out will become a great looking laundry . All thanks to rods web site and this one .

so any extra info would be a great help .

rmarten where about do you work in perth i need to repair the ceiling after removing a wall and was going to do it myself but am think i might use an expert ..the ceiling is plaster glass

thanks again

I have been working close to town lately, Highgate but I usually work around the place I got a job I need to do in City beach I was doing some work in MIndarie but that is very far away 80 kilometres every day not good. IM happy to work anywhere that takes me 30 minutes to get there.
    I will be happy to have a look. I guess Rod has done his share of plasterglass in his time.
    I will be happy to meet up and have a talk.

Not a lot rmartens, it went out of fashion over here years ago.

The last time I used it was a 4 storey job in the CBD in the early 80's I started my appenticeship in 75 and plasterboard was well and truly being used by then.

All the plasterglass experts are in the West where brick construction with rendered walls is the norm. While board plasterers mainly did ceilings. (I presume it is still a bit like that over there)

Mind you Brady's have done a great job keeping plasterglass popular as long as it has in the west.

From people I have spoken too brick veneer construction has started to take over in recent times. It that right?

Cheers
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

thanks Rmarten can you PM your nunber my place is in Bayswater .thanks

Rod you are right there have definitely been a increase in the the amount of brick veneer being used . With the huge increase in housing prices and the time it takes to build with double brick it just is not feasible any more .One of the big thing that is know catching on is to do the bottom floor in double brick and the top in veneer .

As the housing price is so high there has been a massive increase in townhouse and this is now the prefered construction method i believe as most are built for on sell and this can dramaticlly reduce construction time .

Rob

Default contact jag

hi jags I live not far from you here is a text attachment of my email and phone number

Default contact jag

hi jags I live not far from you here is a text attachment of my email and phone number

Default contact jag