Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plaster Question

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone that knows a thing or two about plastering.

I am building a bulkhead around the kitchen ceiling. Obviously, I will be forced to cut the gyprock lengths, so they will only be recessed on one side. Is it better to fix the recessed edge on the internal angle(wall junction) or external angle(edge of bulkhead). I am doing square set,(no cornice). I'll be using beading for the angles of course. I assume it's "much of a muchness", but wonder if internal or external ceiling angles show up more glancing light, that therefore should fix the recessed edge on the side that shows up more light(recessed would be a more flush finish).
    <O
    Thanks!

Generally the join between the bulkhead and the ceiling, and the under side of the bulhead and wall, would be finished using paper tape and the external corner on the bottom of the bulkhead would would have 2 recessed edges coming together to fit plastic corner moulding.

At least this is how I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Doogie View Post
    Generally the join between the bulkhead and the ceiling, and the under side of the bulhead and wall, would be finished using paper tape and the external corner on the bottom of the bulkhead would would have 2 recessed edges coming together to fit plastic corner moulding.

At least this is how I would do it.
    Thanks for the quick response mate. Much appreciated.

I'm using the metal beading for the external, but hadnt thought to much about how do the internal. Paper tape you say is the go? I'll have to look into it(i've always done cornice in the past, so not too familiar).

You were just lucky I was online at the same time. square setting is so easy. Look for some posts for Rod @ plasterbrook (Forums gyprocking Hero) - he has a link to his website where he goes through gyprocking techniques - not sure if has square setting though.

Exactly the same as doing an internal corner.

Just to add a little.

If it is an external angle you are using and not a casing bead. Then put the recessed on the bottom.

As an external angle protrudes about 3mm it is better to have it on the recessed edge. This will reduce the amount it protrudes.

However if you were finishing with a casing bead or (capping bead, as it is sometimes called), then most definitly use the square edged on the bottom, as along the square set edge the rebate will be stopped up where it would be seen on the edge with casing bead.

Only use paper tape for the square setting. If you want I have some video showing the square set I can send to you via email it is a large file so unless you have broadband it will be no use. Within a week this video will be on youtube.

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Do you have internal angle beads in the state you live in?
    Rod is right you will have a little protruding on external angle. I was working on a job and the owner measured the size of the bulkhead and set up a jig to router out external angle. He got a machinist to cut the end of a 45degree router bit so its flat on the end.
    Then set the router just deep enough so it wont cut the paper so when you fold it over it closes square 90 degree. Internal angle beads are great so easy and strong just flush with a broad knife but I prefer to use a small trowel. To do the routing all you need is a small router and place a straight edge on the sheet. The owner of a job I was working at he actually used silicon to glue the square external agle bulk head but Rod may have another system I know myself I would probably use plaster or cornice cement maybe this sugestion is too difficult but maybe on a future project when you have a bit of time worth thinking about.

We used to make our own cut and folds for bulkheads and used paper tape with PVA glue. Worked great. Now you can buy them. I don't ever use them unless I have a lot of bulkheads to do in a commercial job. Simply because they are expesive and require more deliveries etc to co-ordinate.

Other reasons I won't used them in a domestic job is that they damage very easily.

Internal angles are great done with beedex and other systems out there, however I can never seem to justify the cost vs good old paper tape. For the DIY market its a different matter a few extra dollars to make the job easier it ok.

I do see guys getting into trouble with beedex when they don't wipe them in hard enough and get a build up of plaster under the angle. That makes top coating a lot harder as a much thicker coat is requried.

Cheers

Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Thanks all for your advice. Looking forward to seeing those square set youtube videos online Rod..

Ok I guess that mean I have to get off my butt and finish it tonight!

I have been stalling because on Youtube you can only upload 100mb file size that gives me about 2min 10 seconds, per clip.

I try to get any process down to 3 parts only. But to show the entire process of doing the internals and do it any kind of justice requires a bit more time. Therefore I have to cut a bit more out of which part I cant quite deceide.

Will try to get it up for you tonight.

Cheers
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by rod@plasterbrok View Post
    Ok I guess that mean I have to get off my butt and finish it tonight!

I have been stalling because on Youtube you can only upload 100mb file size that gives me about 2min 10 seconds, per clip.

I try to get any process down to 3 parts only. But to show the entire process of doing the internals and do it any kind of justice requires a bit more time. Therefore I have to cut a bit more out of which part I cant quite deceide.

Will try to get it up for you tonight.

Cheers
    Thanks mate, but don't rush on my account. By the way, your plaster site is great...even had info on bulkheads. love it!!

No problem been putting this off for a week now.

Finally I have part one up and part two is uploading as I type.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Tennex01

Might not get part three which is applying top coat tonight.

Cheers Rod

Update.....

All the complete 3 clip series of how to tape in internal angles using paper tape is now up on youtube. I hope they are helpfull
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com