Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: WhirlyBird

Default WhirlyBird

Hi all,

I dont want to get into an argument about whether or not they work, they move air through my roof so it cools off quicker as the outside temps drop.

Im looking to install one in my shed and another on my house.

Legally for insurance etc Do I have to have someone do this for me or can I do it myself?

Lastly is it hard to do?

Cheers
    Paul

That will depend on how 'handy' you are.

I have only fitted them for clients on a tiled roof (god knows why). They are easy to do and come with instructions. Take a look at the box, normally the instructions are printed on the outside to give you some idea.
    Jack

Easy to fit for a competent handy person - roof & ladder safety the main concern.

They come with fittings for tile or tin roof - get the correct one or you will run into problems. Location is important, but the instruction sheets are pretty good.

It might be worth looking at for specials that include 'free' installation. I have seen these at the regular price with installation included and that is well worth it - the installers do many each day and know their stuff.

Having installed one on the tile roof of my house, one on the tin roof section of the house and one on the new colourbond roof of my shed, if possible do the cutting of the tin and basic attatchment on the ground. It is reasonably easy to install, you have to be comfortable working at heights and sloping heights at that. If you are not comfortable with heights get someonelse to do it.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

tiled roofs: select middle of roof panel, kick up two adjoing tiles 2 rows down from ridge (ignore comments saying next row up) remove free tile below , place square flashing saying bottom down, strangely enough with its bottom down, grab metal strap in acc bag and bend over your finger , flip and place over lip of flashing and mould around the tile batten below, mark with a piece of crumbling mortar where it meets the middle of the tile batten, punch this mark with a nail and attach with a large wood screw or a wood boring tek screw, bend over upper moulded lip of flashing and deposit spinning thing of air vent on top, jump repeatedly on whirlybird to ensure proper seating, then throw away spirit level and align rotating base with next door neighbours clothesline, chase screws down into gutter then get down and recharge battery drill, forget what you were doing until winter when it rains in hole and floods ceiling fan you half installed

instructions for iron roof: leave whirlybird on shed roof, someone will assume you have a drug crop inside and cut an inspection hole, place fan in resulting hole